Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: swarm trap with french cleat hanging bracket.

Love the idea. I would worry about our Colorado winds putting it hard to the test.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Steve, NICE TEST !!!!! I really felt that ya'll were under estimating how strong that cleat was, I bet, had you glued it with Titebond III it would have hung there with the 100 lbs on it. I hung 5 10 frame boxes today they worked GREAT !!!!!

Last edited by Dconrad; 03-16-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Steve,

Thanks for sharing this video! i was concerned about the lip at the actual joint tearing away. i had planned on using 3" scres to secure to tree, so wasn't very worried there. You have quelled any fears i had about this style of mount.

Dconrad, how did you attach the one on that tree at an angle like that?
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedc View Post
    Dconrad, how did you attach the one on that tree at an angle like that?

Steve, I did like KPeacock said with 3" screws, it is pretty much hanging all on the cleat and relying on the board that is holding the cleat I know it is not the best practice but it was the best I could do and I wanted that trap right there it's about 400 yards from another fellas bee yard

shannon, that's a strong looking bracket you have there.
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedc View Post
    Shannon, I couldn't wait on the water test so I did a quick one myself tonight.http://s1055.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Nice! I figured that the hardware would be the first thing to fail. I've checked my first ones that I've hung. If anything they feel more secure today then the day I hung them. Maybe some wood expansion or something. Pretty sure my hives a lighter than yours. After your video I can sleep at night!

Steve, do you have a SBB on your swarm trap? You may want to cover that up with a piece of coraplast or luan or something.

I think the cleat is the way to go. Hung three more yesterday. With an electric impact driver it takes me less then 5 minutes total, and that includes looking for a decent plum spot on a tree. With a single cleat on my 5 frame nuc swarm traps I do tie it will some string as the boxes are pretty light. I just wrap it around the hive and tie it to the cleat. On my top bars with the double angled cleat I just drop them in place. No way the hive is going to pull two 1/4 x 4 inch bolts out of the trees (I hang them on hard wood trees, nothing soft).

This is probably way overkill, but I figure I should get a decent amount of re-use out of the cleats, so over time the cost is low.

Yea Shannon, you're right about the SBB. I should cover that.

we called that a pinch bar in the sign and display business, we used them to hang signs and wall panels and if your worried you could always use a double pinch bar

Thanks j.kuder, I hadn't thought about doubling them if felt needed.

I don't think you would need to double. I'm amazed at how strong they are. The advantage of doubling would be you could get more screws holding the cleat to a back board, but as long as you have good wood for the cleat you should be good. I'm amazed at the strength of the angled cleat setup.

I decided to alter my 2013 traps to use this hang method also. I made the bracket extend higher than the box, and glued/screwed a wood block onto it. I can then use a ratchet strap to attach to the tree and not need to screw/nail into the tree.

IMG_20130328_180959_100.jpg

One of my traps hung

IMG_20130331_122957_239.jpg

Worked great. Ollie - I found some of that green paint too

Amazing what 8 different colors of mis-tints will turn into if carefully blended.

Nice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12