Hybrid View

Default swarm trap with french cleat hanging bracket.

Hey Y'All, I don't know if anyone else hangs their boxes this way but I sure do like it.http://s1055.beta.photobucket.com/us...ging%20bracket
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Default Re: swarm trap with french cleat hanging bracket.

That's a pretty sweet idea.... I like it !!!! thanks for the post Steve.

DC

Thanks DC
    There's three ways to do everything...the wrong way, the right way, a better way.

Very nice

I set up a few of mine that that way to see how well it would work. it seems like it would be easier to level one piece that level two, the way i had planend on secuting the hives to trees.

I had planned on essentially nailing 2x4s to the bth sides of the trunck so they stick out like arms. i'd then set the trap on them and secure with 550 cord.

My only concern has to do with the stength of the wood. I plan to have semi-foundationless frames in my swarm traps. As such, they need to be pretty level in the "long" direction to avoid buggered up comb formation. With this Frenchie cleat arrangement, that puts the box sticking out from the tree lengthwise. if i don't get around to checking no the swarm for a month, they might well have that thing fillied with comb and getting heavier every day. I worry that the wood may come apart at the cleat. I don't have enough wood working experience to have that gut feeling to say "yeah that will hold."

I may forge a couple of similar cleats out of steel. i really think this is a better/easier way to hang these things than my original two armed plan.

EDIT: I just realized that this may make no sense whatsoever! I am using 10-frame deeps for swarm traps. this is why i have concerns about weight. My intention is to simply move the captured swarp to the apiary and start adding supers as needed. No need to transfer frames this way, but i run the risk of having wonky frames if i don;t have the swarm trap ratehr close to level
    Last edited by KPeacock; 03-14-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add clarity

Steve, I think it is a piece of genius. I think it should be easy enough to level up the cleat as you're fixing it.

Yea KPeacock, i don't think i would trust this with 10 frame box either.

Great Steve
    Great,
    I will save on wood and time, MERCI