Default Bees seeking out water

I am a Missouri beekeeper and we are finally having a few days above 50 degrees. Bees are out and about. I have noticed more than a usual amount of bees at my birdbath taking in water. Does anyone know if this is typical following winter.

Default Re: Bees seeking out water

They are thirsty. It happens when you are cooped up in a box for days-weeks at a time.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

when there is a large brood activity in late winter, bees do need huge amounts of water to dilute the honey and feed the larva.
    the need for water at this time is much more greater than if it was in hot weather.

Thanks. There is a creek not far away. But seem to be using the closest water source, the birdbath

> There is a creek not far away. But seem to be using the closest water source, the birdbath

Aside from being closer, the birdbath water is likely warmer than the creek water. Its commonly held that bees won't take syrup that is below 50 degrees, so its likely they have difficulty with cold water as well.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

What I've found interesting is that I have a nice creek too but my girls seem to prefer stagnant water with rotting leaves in it to a nice clean water source. Must be picking up some kind of nutrients from the decaying plant matter.

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    What I've found interesting is that I have a nice creek too but my girls seem to prefer stagnant water with rotting leaves in it to a nice clean water source. Must be picking up some kind of nutrients from the decaying plant matter.
    I have noticed a similar preference for stagnant water as well. About this time last year, I noticed some bees fighting to the death for some water in a low spot in my yard. A few days ago, they were getting water out of an old watering jar we set out last summer. They never touched that water source during our hot dry summer.

Shane