Hybrid View

Default My loss of bees!

I just posted a blog...lost my bees this winter. I believe my cluster was too small, perhaps due to a fall swarm?

http://thewoodsygal.com/2013/03/14/u...ortunate-news/

Default Re: My loss of bees!

Did you test/treat for varroa?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

No I did not treat. Although many in our beekeeping group lost their bees this winter and do treat.

Sort of reminds me of an experience I had with one of my daughters. She ran out of gas. When I arrived with a gas can to get her going I asked ‘didn’t you check the gauge?’. She replied….’the gas gauge in Elizabeth’s car doesn’t work right….she looked at hers and ran out of gas anyway. ‘
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Did you test/treat for varroa?
    Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Sort of reminds me of an experience I had with one of my daughters. She ran out of gas. When I arrived with a gas can to get her going I asked ‘didn’t you check the gauge?’. She replied….’the gas gauge in Elizabeth’s car doesn’t work right….she looked at hers and ran out of gas anyway. ‘
    I'm curious as to why you immediately jump to the conclusion that they needed to test for varroa, or worse still, treat for the mites when this is very clearly a starve-out? Varroa does not cause starve-outs as far as I'm aware. I ask because you're not the first on this forum I've seen do this, just today even.

Javin, he said the hive was full of honey. Yes they starved but, they starved from a small cluster, which was probably caused by varroa. Without varroa, they would have had a large enough cluster to make the heat to move. Starvation is the reason they are dead but varroa is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Javin007 View Post
    I ask because you're not the first on this forum I've seen do this, just today even.
    It started as a simple question. Small overwintering clusters are one of the classic signs of varroa collapse. The OP indicated that he/she hadn’t tested or treated….and that alone would be fine, as long as he/she understands that this is often the outcome. I honestly don’t care if you choose to test/treat but if you post asking why your hives failed and varroa look to be the likely culprit….why shouldn’t I ask?