Hybrid View

Default over run by honey bees

I am not sure where to go to ask questions so I may be doing this all wrong. I just bought a new home and I am being over run by honey bees. My son is very allergic. Who do I get ahold of to help find where the hive is? I don't want someone to just come out and kill them but I am so scared my son is going to get stung. Please help!!

Default Re: Topics for Beesource Reference Section

My suggestion is for you to call your County Extension Director, they probably have a list of people that will find the bee source and collect them. It is very unlikely those bees will bother your son! If you were closer one of our locals would come help you!

Quote Originally Posted by MSnook View Post
    I am not sure where to go to ask questions so I may be doing this all wrong. I just bought a new home and I am being over run by honey bees. My son is very allergic. Who do I get ahold of to help find where the hive is? I don't want someone to just come out and kill them but I am so scared my son is going to get stung. Please help!!
    You might want to stock up on Benadryl and Epiphen if possible. Also, do you know of a local store that sells honey in your area? They might know how to contact a beekeeper that might be interested in finding the hive and taking the bees away for you. Or that beek might be connected to an association who could provide you with more help.

Good luck.

I found this list on the ok beekeepers association site. Maybe someone is near you.

http://www.okbees.org/Swarms.html
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Default Re: over run by honey bees

Quote Originally Posted by MSnook View Post
    Perhaps there's a possibility that your son isn't at as much risk as you think. Has he been tested to see if he's allergic specifically to honey bees? About 1 in 1,000 people are allergic to wasps/hornets, but only 1 in 10,000 are actually allergic to honey bees. In fact, honey bee stings have been used (for hundreds of years) to help cure people of wasp allergies.

What do you define as being "overrun" by honey bees? Do you have a swarming problem, or do they visit your flowers? Are they in your house and need to be removed?

Default Re: over run by honey bees

Yes, Javin makes some good points. This sounds like a situation where first the facts need to be separated from the hysteria and fear.
    Kevin M. Pfeiffer -- Berlin, Germany