Default My swarm bucket!

image.jpg

Bring on spring! See my new telescoping bee swarm bucket! I can't wait!

Default Re: My swarm bucket!

I've got one almost just like yours. If you put a ladder in the back of a truck and with the swarm bucket you can get pretty high up in a tree. They work pretty good. I've caught 8 or 9 swarms with mine in the past couple years.

Can I ask how you attached the water bottle to the pole? Not real clear in the photo. Nice job.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

My husband and I went to Home Depot, went to the plumbing section and picked out a PVC coupling that fit inside the neck of the water cooler bottle. Putty and screws holding it together. Sawed off the top and voila! I hope to catch several this spring!

Also this pole is telescoping so it stretches out to like 20 feet

That is awesome! My husband and I have been trying to figure out a way to do it after having to go very, very high up to get a swarm last year. I am going to show him the pic and see if he can build me one.

I've made a number of them for our club's swarm team and other beek friends. The easy solution for attaching to a painter's pole is as follows: go to the ReStore or second hand shop and buy an old paint roller that has a hole in the base of the handle with the standard painter's pole thread; hacksaw the plastic handle from the steel shaft; after cutting the bottom out of the plastic bottle duct tape the "bottom" of the neck of the bottle on the "inside" to act as a plug; set the bottle right side up, center the cut off handle in the bottle neck on the tape, and fill the void around the handle with silicon caulking compound. Block the handle so that it stays centered in the neck and let set up over night. The next day drill four pilot holes spaced evenly through the plastic neck and into the plastic handle and drive four self tapping screws into the holes. Safe, secure, and rigid. Works like a charm when the swarm is within reach of the extended painter's pole or in your hands without the pole for low swarms.

Steve

The Painting section at HD has poles that can extened very well.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I used a wood paint roller handle for mine. This is also the same thread as a push broom if you need a shorter handle. I also made mine out of a 5 gallon pail with several screened vents and a lid that pops on with the pull of a string. With the vents I can just leave them in the bucket until I get home

This may seem like a newbee question, but what do you do now? Do you put it around the swarm and shake until they fall in to the bucket?

Stacie,

Assuming that there is a swarm hanging 15 feet up in a tree you can extend the painter's pole with the bucket on it around the cluster and give it a good "pop' upward. Most of the cluster will fall into the bucket and then you quickly bring it down and dump the bees into a deep with 2-3 frames removed in the middle and put the IC or OC on top. Repeat the process 2-3 times and you will have most of the bees. You might repeat the process the following day and pick up a couple of hundred more bees. No guarantee, but there is a pretty good chance that you will get the queen.

Steve

There has been a youtube video on this exact swarm bucket for about a year now. Can't find it right now though.
    Last edited by Mr.Beeman; 03-14-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Good job-it's easy to see the queen, get her in the clip, and you got em

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/270/
    This is where I got the idea to build mine

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Creek Steve View Post
    Stacie,

Assuming that there is a swarm hanging 15 feet up in a tree you can extend the painter's pole with the bucket on it around the cluster and give it a good "pop' upward. Most of the cluster will fall into the bucket and then you quickly bring it down and dump the bees into a deep with 2-3 frames removed in the middle and put the IC or OC on top. Repeat the process 2-3 times and you will have most of the bees. You might repeat the process the following day and pick up a couple of hundred more bees. No guarantee, but there is a pretty good chance that you will get the queen.

Steve
    Thanks. I caught a wild swarm last year, but was equipped with a ladder and a cardboard box. This sounds much easier and less dangerous than the way I did it.