Default treatments for AFB and EFB

Would it be prudent to do a preventive treatment for AFB and or EFB just coming out of winter. My friends hive wintered in one deep and they are not expecting to get honey this year. I have read that you should not treat within four weeks of a flow if you are putting on honey supers. I was j just wondering if many people actually do preventive treatment for this. Thanks

Default Re: treatments for AFB and EFB

Do you take an antibiotic because you might get sick? Unless you have seen signs of brood disease, there is no reason to treat just because--. It is a sure fire way to get your equipment full of antibiotic resistent foulbrood spores.

If you haven't had a problem before I wouldn't worry about it. The time to do preventative treatment is for six weeks beginning in late january.

The latest research is that antibiotics destroy the lactic acid bacteria in their stomach and that bacteria protects against AFB and EFB, so antiboitics make them more susceptible to both AND more susceptible to Nosema.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0033188
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF