Thread: help

Default help

Im not sure where to post this but here goes. Today I got home from work and went out to check the bees sugar water and noticed a large clump of bees hanging underneath the hive. They're still alive just hanging there. The temp today was around 40-45. Theres still lots of bees inside I have no idea whats going on. I don't know how to put pics up or I would.

Default Re: help

I've had that happen before when they swarmed, the queen didn't go with the swarm and they went back towards the hive. Or maybe it is a true swarm and that's just where they decided to swarm to. If you have another hive and can get to the bees, you could put them in that hive. If they have a queen they will probably stay. If they don't have a queen, they will go back to the original hive and then swarm again on the next warm day. Is the hive overcrowded? You could check for queen cells. You may have fed more than necessary.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I guess I'll have to see if they're still there tomorrow and try to figure out whats happening.

Do you have screened bottom boards? Others have commented about bees clustering under the screen.

I bet you do have an SBB and hopefully your bees will still be alive in the morning! Get rid of that thing until nights are in the seventies if you must use it at all. As a new member of the class of people that sell bees, I should start promoting them instead of cursing them. SBB's are a bee salesmans best friend!

Well first off yes I do have a sbb whats wrong with them? Second ya'll wont believe what I found. Went through the hive yesterday completely no queen no eggs I was looking on the ground hoping she was there in the bunch of bees laying on the ground. My friend that was helping shouted don't move the queen was in my tool bucket that has been in my shed for a week! I guess she had fallen in there last weekend when I was working them and hadn't noticed her.

So did it all end well? Everyone back in the hive now?
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

So far so good everyone went back in the hive I'll check on them next weekend and see if she started laying again. I have a little whisper in the back of my head that maybe she fell in the bucket yesterday while we were inspecting and that shes just done laying. I wont know anything until next weekend though.

If you can,... add a frame of larva/brood
    If they need a queen they will do it.
    If the don't,they will have it to help,with the
    brood break from the absent queen