Default Need help now. Just got first swarm. Chat won't work on my Mac.

I'm hoping a moderator can answer a question within a few minutes.

I just gathered my swarm. It was rather large and I could not get all the brood. The kind pest control guy waited as long as he could for me to spot the queen, but I did not find her. I had to put the vented lid on my swarm box and let him kill the rest. I have them loaded in my top bar hive with the partition six bars back. Then I put as much of the brood comb into the partitioned area as would fit. I tried to keep it parallel with the bars and zig zag it a little to allow them access.

Here is my questions: How much comb should I leave in the brood area for them to rebuild if I got the queen?

What should I see to tell me if I got the queen or if I should just clean out my hive and wait for the next swarm?

Should I put my entrance feeder on the hive? I will probably do this no matter what because the combs looked a little empty except for the brood.

Default Re: Need help now. Just got first swarm. Chat won't work on my Mac.

Ok, so long as you got eggs as well as sealed brood and the nurse bees you will be ok. They will raise a new queen just fine from a newly hatched egg. Yes she will be a virgin but you probably also collected a bunch of drones and now you know there are other bees around, so when she goes for her mating flight all will be well, touch wood. ;-)

Default Re: Need help now. Just got first swarm. Chat won't work on my Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by praxis178 View Post
    Ok, so long as you got eggs as well as sealed brood and the nurse bees you will be ok. They will raise a new queen just fine from a newly hatched egg. Yes she will be a virgin but you probably also collected a bunch of drones and now you know there are other bees around, so when she goes for her mating flight all will be well, touch wood. ;-)
    Thank you SO much for giving me some hope. Since I wrote the post, I have gone back to the hive and put up an entrance feeder and made a new video. I took out some comb and exchanged some as well as adding another 1 3/8" before the partition. The extra comb was laid on the ground to either be used in rebuilding or to satisfy the armadillos. I have it raised where they can't get to the hive and it is very bottom heavy. I did this specifically because I did not know if the armadillos would stick to digging up grubs all around there or if they would go for the larvae. Thanks again, even if this turns out to be a first attempt.