Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

3-11-12 CT pollen already flowing?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Zanderk_98 
#1 ·
Bees are already bringing in what appears to be a white/pale yellow pollen. It's also sticking to some of their butts too. Maybe Maple?

#3 ·
Yeah some Maple sp. have a light yellow pollen. Red Maple tends to be brownish grey so they are probably into some other species of Maple.

That is good news! Nothing over here in the NW yet. :(

#6 ·
Jealous! Ok I didn't get out to the apiary today. Working in the shop on hive boxes and frames. I will check tomorrow. Red maples here in the cold NW corner are going to pop soon. I hope!

Bluegrass says the skunk cabbage is up in his neck if the woods. They are just starting to pop up here.

#7 ·
Since 3/24 my bees have found sources of white, pale yellow, and orange pollen. By Wednesday they were covered and dusty with pale yellow pollen. I didn't even ask myself what it was from; I was just so happy it was coming in. Come on sun & warmer weather !

#10 ·
I cannot recall the dates right now but my bees have been bringing in pollen for a few weeks now. it started with a dirty white. went to a pale yellow than a darker yellow and now I see bright orange bright yellow and white. Leafs are just starting to bud on maples here.

Does anyone know of any source for identifying pollen under a microscope or any other way. I would really like to know exactly what the bees are foraging on.

#12 ·
according to that link I woudl guess I am seeing Willow, Elm and Maple. Probably some cherry as well but I don't see bees on those blossoms. A lot of willows are listed as white pollen. that might explain why I am seeing several whites that do not all look the same. Various pollens look like the pack differently on the bees legs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.