Default 3-11-12 CT pollen already flowing?

Bees are already bringing in what appears to be a white/pale yellow pollen. It's also sticking to some of their butts too. Maybe Maple?

Default Re: 3-11-12 CT pollen already flowing?

Good possibility. Lost of things have buds in my yard, hell the largest maple I have had buds weeks ago and they're opening up now (just went out and pulled a branch down to look at it).

Yeah some Maple sp. have a light yellow pollen. Red Maple tends to be brownish grey so they are probably into some other species of Maple.

That is good news! Nothing over here in the NW yet.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

wow that's good news.. we're usually only a couple weeks behind you

They were out like gang busters today!!! Same white/yellow pollen and a few came back bright yellow almost.

Jealous! Ok I didn't get out to the apiary today. Working in the shop on hive boxes and frames. I will check tomorrow. Red maples here in the cold NW corner are going to pop soon. I hope!

Bluegrass says the skunk cabbage is up in his neck if the woods. They are just starting to pop up here.

Since 3/24 my bees have found sources of white, pale yellow, and orange pollen. By Wednesday they were covered and dusty with pale yellow pollen. I didn't even ask myself what it was from; I was just so happy it was coming in. Come on sun & warmer weather !

Pussywillow should by blooming before the maples. I don't know how much you have in CT though.

First serious pollen yesterday. Willows are blooming and maples are just starting.

I cannot recall the dates right now but my bees have been bringing in pollen for a few weeks now. it started with a dirty white. went to a pale yellow than a darker yellow and now I see bright orange bright yellow and white. Leafs are just starting to bud on maples here.

Does anyone know of any source for identifying pollen under a microscope or any other way. I would really like to know exactly what the bees are foraging on.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

There has been some posts on this before. Try these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source
    www.pollen.com
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

according to that link I woudl guess I am seeing Willow, Elm and Maple. Probably some cherry as well but I don't see bees on those blossoms. A lot of willows are listed as white pollen. that might explain why I am seeing several whites that do not all look the same. Various pollens look like the pack differently on the bees legs.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I noticed the same with my bees here in upstate NY yesterday, 3/29. Pussy willow is out & has been for a week + and maple buds are swelling. Bees litterally returning to the hives covered in pale yellow pollen