Default Queen excluder - necessary when desiring comb?

Hi...

I need help on knowing whether I should use the queen excluder or not. My bees are for producing comb only. Anyone with experience on this, please share...

Thanks!

Lori

Default Re: Queen excluder - necessary when desiring comb?

You mean you're taking comb honey only? You do not need a queen excluder but it's a nice insurance policy. I don't use them, I have no issues with my queens running around laying everywhere. I do some late spring manipulations by pulling all the honey out of the broodnests and put it in a box above them. I checkerboard in new foundation as I do it which opens up the broodnest and creates a honey barrier above them. I then add my supers above this box. It makes it easy for me as I keep that box of honey for the bees to winter on since I don't like extracting from broodframes (yes, i'm a honey snob). It just seems to me they cause more trouble then what it's worth.

It is difficult to get bees through the excluder and making a lot of comb quickly which is what you need for comb honey.

"Beginning beekeepers should not attempt to use queen excluders to prevent brood in supers. However they probably should have one excluder on hand to use as an aide in either finding the queen or restricting her access to frames that the beekeeper must want to move elsewhere" -The How-To-Do-It book of Beekeeping, Richard Taylor
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Lori- You don't need an excluder for comb honey. I do strictly cut comb, with a full sheet of foundation in each frame
    of my supers. I also use slatted racks like Dr. C.C. Miller and it helps to build a powerful hive. I wait to put the super
    on, until the hive is loaded with bees. Add supers after first one is half to 3/4 full as needed. Rotate your supers per
    killion method and it works just fine.

From chapter 16 of The Hive and the Honey Bee regarding comb honey production, Eugene Killion writes "A queen excluder must be used in producing bulk or cut-comb honey. None is needed when using square or round section supers."

I have deep brood boxes and use mediums for extracted honey and shallows for my cut comb. My queens have yet to put brood in the shallows (now I went and Jinxed myself).
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

If you intend to use foundation, use 7/11 from Walter T. Kelley. The queen hates laying in it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by JD's Bees View Post
    " None is needed when using square or round section supers."
    What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It is difficult to get bees through the excluder and making a lot of comb quickly which is what you need for comb honey.

"Beginning beekeepers should not attempt to use queen excluders to prevent brood in supers. However they probably should have one excluder on hand to use as an aide in either finding the queen or restricting her access to frames that the beekeeper must want to move elsewhere" -The How-To-Do-It book of Beekeeping, Richard Taylor

Thanks for the input! I will consider removing them, but not until I get a situation resolved. Here is what has happened....

My hive is set up with one deep, and two honey supers (for bees only!), and then one extra honey super.

Over winter, I left that third extra honey super on naively hoping to get some honey early, but the queen went into this pure beeswax-foundation honey super, and laid lots of drone brood - very unevenly too! The supers below had mostly worker brood.
    Thus, due to there being a cork-sized hole in this third super, I put the queen excluder under it after making sure the queen was absent from it. Over this I put another honey super with new beeswax foundation. Even if the queen got caught up above the excluder, she'd be okay, but a headache for me...
    I expect it to empty of drone, and be reworked as honey comb. I believe I need to use the queen excluder at least until all the drone are expelled. Then I will put the new beeswax-foundation honey super on top the 'brood nest' (deep and two supers) and the super (now empty of brood) at the very top. Did I make this clear enough?

Any ideas or concerns? How long would it take to clear out the drone brood?

Thank you!

Lori

I use my Ross Round supers as "queen excluders". They seem to really dislike laying in the plastic frames.