Thread: PF100 Strength

Default PF100 Strength

As the title suggests I'm simply wondering about the strength of the PF100/105. It just seems odd to me that the Rite-Cell has a pro/reinforced plastic version but the small cell doesn't. How well does the PF100 stand up in a strength comparison to a wood frame or a PF400 or 500?

Regardless of whether small cell is worthwhile or not I'll be aggravated if I buy an inferior quality product that can't hold up.

I tried searching the wonderful net and the forums but I either end up with 200 topics to look at or 0 so my apologies now if I'm just an incompetent searcher!

Default Re: PF100 Strength

I am not a careful person frankly and i haven't broken one yet. I have had some crimped endbars in shipping and they are getting no worse under use. They are servicable at a good price. If you want the better ones, get them but I don't find it necessary for my purpopses.

This has been discussed before, but I'll throw my 2 cents at it again. I do not like the PF frames. I find three deficiencies with them. 1) the end tabs on the top bar are too weak. I have several that have sheared off. 2) they warp if unevenly heated (left out in the sun). and 3) are the gaps are a haven for SHB. When either of the first two happen you simply throw them away.

In my opinion, nothing beats a wood frame for durability. I prefer wooden frames with plastic foundation.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I have a commercial friend who thinks their too weak, but I've never broken one.
    Dan

i've never broken one, either. I have probably about 500 or so. -js

I've purchased more than 1,000 over several years. I've never had one fail due to breakage. I've cut several dozen from their plastic frames and inserted them into wooden frames. Once, when doing this I unintentionally left a stack of the cut-outs in the sun and they developed irregular surfaces, but most were still usable. I know that the beeswax comb will quickly melt off of the plastic base if left in the Summer sun for a few minutes too long. This is accelerated with the black plastic versions of PF frames.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

shb 012.jpg

I cut them out and put them in wooden frames.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I was just about to say I was going to do that! I read Barry's post on it and it I like the idea of not having to give up the wood strength and feel. Perfect!

I bought a dozen to try and I use the green version of them for my drone frames (IPM). They're okay but they seem to get more crazy comb on them than the wooden ones and if there are going to be swarm cells they always seem to be on the bottom of the drone frames. Sounds good, but I've not yet figured out a way to cut them off without destroying the cell. I've not broken any ears off of them yet but I've seen them flex and get white where they are under the most pressure. The most concerning is the great hiding spots they offer SHB's. The do hide in there and I can only kill them with my hive tool. I will be buying no more other than the drone frames. I use and perfer perco foundation with the wooden frames.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I just sold 10 cases of the PF100's this week. I'm clearing it out. I have posted on here before regarding the major issue with burr comb and communication comb between the top bar and bottom bars using these frames. I have no idea why the manufacturer doesn't just sell the foundation itself to be inserted into standard wood frames. Cutting it out and inserting it into wood frames is not on my list of fun things to do. Huge waste of time.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I have 3,000 of them. I've broken two or three of them...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    I have no idea why the manufacturer doesn't just sell the foundation itself to be inserted into standard wood frames. Cutting it out and inserting it into wood frames is not on my list of fun things to do. Huge waste of time.
    I agree but don't forget to mention its on the expensive side too. But I spend the time because I like the wood frame better

I guess part of it is what you get used to. I started with them after my top bar hive, and so for me they seemed like a huge step up. Also, the price is pretty appealing.

i bought about 2500 of them WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN do not buy them
    i have several with ears broken off of them and the top bar also break in the center have had them for about 5 years
    also when you go thru 150 + hives making splits ect. by the end of the day my fingers are swollen a little bit and hurt the corners are sharp if your looking for queens flipping the frame around all day
    i will be cutting them up for wooden frames
    i would suggest wooden with plastic insert