Default Bees trapped behind follower board, how?

Ok I'm going to have to pull the follower from my hive as I have ~1000 bees trapped on the wrong side and the number is growing. I don't know how they are getting past it, but they surely are!

Anyone else have this happen?

Second thing, looks like I'm going to split the colony now too, I'll pull two brood bars (with queen) and some stores and put them back into my starter hive, to build up again. I' know it's late in the season for it here in Australia, but they are very strong and where I am winters are hardly more than a cool change to the girls. Anything I should be on the look out for?

Default Re: Bees trapped behind follower board, how?

Well I think the problem has been sorted: looks like last time I inspected some fell down and propped up the follower board just enough that they could get under it. I'll check in on them during the day tomorrow to take a peek through the bottom screen like today to see what is happening, hope all will be well.

I made the split, three frames of stores and two of brood mostly capped plus the queen, I hope moving this nuc ~100' from the donor hive will be enough to prevent drift becoming too big an issue. I don't plan to open the entrance till tomorrow just before dawn.