Default Please give me your opinion. Do I feed a new split if there's mustard flowering?

Thank you for your help and time.

So this is what I did....I made splits yesterday by taking a frame of honey, a frame of capped brood and another frame that I know had new eggs. When I saw the queen I made it a point to leave her. After I got the frames set up in a wooden nuc I knocked off a couple frames of bees into each nuc. Altogether I made 25 or so. The time was between 12pm-5pm and in the mid 70's. The empty frames I put into the nucs were mostly drawn out from other hives that didn't come thru the winter but still had some honey residue on them. Our swarm season is just around the corner and we have have mustard and eucalyptus trees starting to flower soon.

So should I put sugar syrup on them? My lids are all ready for a quart jar. Also should I give them any pollen substitute along with the syrup?

Thank you for your input.

Mike

Default Re: Please give me your opinion. Do I feed a new split if there's mustard flowering?

Sounds like you did good! I would feed until they are established, if there is a good natural flow they will slow down or stop taking the syrup, then let nature takes its course. I would leave the pollen sub out.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Default Re: Please give me your opinion. Do I feed a new split if there's mustard flowering?

I think if you are having them all make their own queens they will do better if you make sure they have the reasources. They may not absolutely need it, but nice to know it will be there if they need it. Not to mention it's there 24hrs a day no matter what the weather outside.
    Rod

Definately provide pollen sub for the odd rainy/windy day and for the night. Syrup would be good too. Those are small nucs to raise queens and I hope they indeed have the resources to make strong ones.

Stockton has a lot more than mustard blooming right now all the ornamental fruit trees should be in bloom, peach, plum. almond. My bees here in concord are storing extra nectar right now.
    They should be drawing new wax, & in a honey flow.
    Dan

I gave them 1:1 syrup that has honey b healthy in it today. I'm worried about the pollen patties. I figure after the queens hatch then I'll give em some pollen patties.

Our cherry, & navel orange are starting to bloom, Saw manzanita, & madrone in full bloom yesterday.
    Really don't think you need to supplement right now.
    Dan

The question you need to answer based on your observations - is there an adequate forager force to gather nutrition needed by the colony to grow and thrive? If no, feed. If yes, don't feed. If you are not sure, feed. (and yes I know you've already decided to feed as you posted earlier.)
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

If you want to build the strongest possible colonies as quickly as possible then feed them (both protein and carbs) if they will take it - unless they start storing in the brood nest (back filling). Read Randy Olivers Fat Bees series - scientific bee keeping.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I don't know about CA, but here in Vermont, I've seen colonies starve when Yellow Rocket...mustard...was the only bloom. Since Tartarian Honeysuckle has invaded my area, we now have a flow at mustard time.

Andrew Dewey what a really good way to look at it. All of you guys have great ideas and suggestions. Thank you.

Is it ok to open up the hives now to see if their back filling or have enough pollen? I'm itching to check on them but I heard your not supposed to till the queen hatches. I think I need to make sure there's cells in all the boxes.