Default Is This Small Hive Beetle?

Hadn't had any confirmed SHB in my county until late last year so I don't know a whole bunch about them. I've read that they are usually between 4-7mm but I've found some type of real small beetle in a couple of my hives that are between 2-2.5mm in length. Is this too small to be SHB? When I look at these under a magnifying glass they look real close to a SHB but the size is throwing me off, these are about twice the size of a varroa mite. I'm attaching a picture I took of one of them... It's in a plastic bag and the way the light is hitting it a shadow is created that makes it look longer but this one measured about 2mm and that's is a regular office staple for size comparison. What do you think? Thanks.

Default Re: Is This Small Hive Beetle?

That's smaller than my hive beatles. But hard to tell from the picture.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Default Re: Is This Small Hive Beetle?

Yes,Just babies

Sad Re: Is This A Small Hive Beetle?

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldhicks View Post
    Yes,Just babies
    So once the larvae pupate and emerge they continue to grow much bigger? These things are so small they have no trouble crawling through my SBB.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    That's smaller than my hive beatles. But hard to tell from the picture.
    My camera won't zoom in that close... I took a bunch of pix and that was the best one, I included it just for size reference.

I tried to find a pin so I could show that it's smaller than 2 widths of a pin head but I don't know where my wife keeps the pins
    Last edited by JMat; 03-12-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Default Re: Is This A Small Hive Beetle?

If they're that small...the no..it's NOT the small hive beetle

That is definately a "small" beetle that lives in a hive..... but I don't think it is a "small hive beetle" in the apiary sense of the word. Unless it's a new species that you just discovered and therefore, have the right to name it. How about MicroJMatus minimalis

Sounds like it's too small to be a shb. Look here on google for all the pictures of small hive beetles that you want to look at and compare with what you have.... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...mg.Uzl1kopB6EI

Best wishes,
    Ed

Thanks for the responses... I was really beginning to worry because they're real quick for their size and have the clubbed antennae and they're small enough that the bees don't even mess with them. What's the smallest confirmed SHB that anyone has seen?

Quote Originally Posted by beemilk View Post
    That is definately a "small" beetle that lives in a hive..... but I don't think it is a "small hive beetle" in the apiary sense of the word. Unless it's a new species that you just discovered and therefore, have the right to name it. How about MicroJMatus minimalis
    I like that... As long as it doesn't become the latest scourge to beekeeping