Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 8 frame or 10 frame

I'm trying to make things easier since I'm new and also since I'm building my own boxes and have read alot on going with all med. boxes for everything . I think it would be easier for me all around , so now do I go with 8 or 10 frame is there any down side to 8 frame med for all boxes . This may be all wrong but I thought I read that a 8 frame doesn't offer the insulation from cold of a 10 frame box in the winter , I don't want to do anything that would hurt them from surviving the winter .

Default Re: 8 frame or 10 frame

Beekeepers usually go with 8 frame because of weight. Much lighter to pick up and easier on the back. I've heard the opposite about winter survival. I think it's a matter of preference. I prefer 10's. It's like the metric system. Easier.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

The down side to 8 frames is that you need 20% more equipment to run the same hives.

As far as all mediums go; that is the dumbest idea since man first thought that keeping stinging insects was a good idea Combine the two (8 frames and all mediums) and you now need 35% more equipment to run the same hives.

These are purely my opinion though... having tried both configurations. And Dnichols is correct; it is harder to winter bees on smaller equipment in northern climates.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Are you using med or deep brood boxes. Any reason for the 10 over the 8 .

I use all mediums, 10 frame. I wouldn't go 8 if you stay with mediums. Maybe I'm not northern enough for bluegrass, but I haven't noticed any difference in wintering with mediums. Easier on my back.
    Regards, Barry

OK to me it sounds like all medium 10 frame would be a good standard setup as I see the 8 frame boxes vary in size a little and not as popular , then if I run into some good used boxes they will all fit my stuff and it will save my back . Thanks

You will find a greater selection of hive accessory equipment (top feeders, queen excluders, etc) by sticking with 10 frame vs. a more limited selection in 8 frame.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I like 10-frame... only because that is the only style I have tried. Down the road, if you decide that 10-frame equipment does not suit you, you could switch to 8-frame equipment by cutting down your existing boxes. You do not have this luxury if you start with 8-frame equipment.

Rule of thumb for me is, how old are you? If you are young and strong use 10 frame deeps. If you are older, or you do not have a lot of upper body strength use the 10 frame medium.

I'm not that old, but I sometimes have some back pain. I am slowly switching over to mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by Slee View Post
    Rule of thumb for me is, how old are you? If you are young and strong use 10 frame deeps. If you are older, or you do not have a lot of upper body strength use the 10 frame medium.

I'm not that old, but I sometimes have some back pain. I am slowly switching over to mediums.
    I'm already thinking about shallows.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Great, I'll go with med. 10 frame, and I see Dadant does list cut comb foundation for med. supers and the availability of accessories is another plus , sounds like the way to go . I hope there is know problems with cut comb on med.size frames and foundation instead of shallows ?

I use 8 frame mainly for weight reasons. Much easier to pack around. But I am just a back yard kind of operation. If I was commercial, I would do 10's. As for availability, I have not found any problems getting anything.

I am using some mediums this year for cut comb. There will be some waste if you plan on packing them in the comb boxes. If you just add some to your honey jar not so much.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

build yourself 10 frame deeps and see how it goes. from there you can cut down to any thing else, as you figure just what suits your beekeeping style.
    thats the way i roll.

Any of the combinations will work fine. If you have a preference, go with it. The majority of beekeepers use ten frames equipment. I use 8 frame deeps and like them fine. No right or wrong, its personal preference (let age be your guide).
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I'm trying to make things easier since I'm new and also since I'm building my own boxes and have read alot on going with all med. boxes for everything . I think it would be easier for me all around , so now do I go with 8 or 10 frame is there any down side to 8 frame med for all boxes . This may be all wrong but I thought I read that a 8 frame doesn't offer the insulation from cold of a 10 frame box in the winter , I don't want to do anything that would hurt them from surviving the winter .
    It has been my experience the bees don't like to pull the outer two frames out on 10 frame equipment. It is true, you can rotate the empty outer frames back to the inside, and they will pull them out.

For me, lifting eight frame equipment is just easier, even an eight frame deep does not feel as cumbersome to lift as a full 10 frame medium. Perhaps the eight frame equipment is just easier to get a handle on?

Since I started with 10 frame deep equipment, I run mostly eight frame deeps for my brood boxes, eight frame meds for supers. That is because I can swap brood frames, splits and so forth with my 10 frame equipment.

Our climate zone is a six. For me, eight frame equipment overwinters successfully the same as 10 frame equipment. We have successfully overwintered bees in seven frame deep nucs.

Too bad there is not a way you could spend time working with both eight and 10 frame equipment.

HTH,

Shane

You can't go wrong with 8 frame hives, bees like'em better!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Beekeepers now days just do not have any backbone. Bro Adam was 86 years old and still using 11.75" deep 12 frame boxes.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Didn't Brother Adam have lots of helpers doing the actual heavy lifting?

When I started beekeeping, at 9 y.0. it was with the usual 10-frame deeps. My hives were on top of a garden shed. I could not carry entire supers up there or down from there empty of bees/honey or full of the same. I had to move everything one piece at a time - boxes, frames, etc. Quite easy, but very tedious.

A few years later, it became a little easier after reading a "Gleaning in Bee Culture" article about using all medium supers, and trying it. But at the same time I grew older and quite a bit stronger, so it wasn't too much of an issue.

Now the bees aren't on a garden shed, and I'm very much older, and after reading Michael Bush about using all medium 8-frame equipment. I tried it and like it very much. I have a few pieces of 10-frame equipment, mostly to remind me that it is easier to lift an 8-frame deep of honey than even a 10-frame medium of honey, because more of the weight is closer to your body and that makes it easier to manage.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I started with a 10 frame traditional hive and just bought my first 8 frame hive...I did order some 8 frame deeps though so they are not all mediums. The lure of lighter equipment for my weakling back was irresistable.