Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

combining hives

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  D1here 
#1 ·
History: I have two hives I started last year they never really got strong enough for a second brood chamber, though they sustained themselves. this year I started checking on them in January when the weather was warm andhave had larva capped brood in the hives. about two weeks ago I found one of them had swarmed/split so I caught them and started a "NEW" hive after inspection saturday I noticed that the two old hives had no eggs or larva though they have honey and pollen stores. the new one had honey,pollen and eggs(best i can tell with my eye site even with glasses on) the first two hives have 7-10 frames of comb in one brood chamber, the new one has one and half frames of comb.

well I guess it wasnt eggs as I just checked the swarm hive and no larva just bees, pollen, and nectar this hive is two weeks old tomorrow should there be signs of a queen by now?

Obviously I dont have a queen anywhere on this hill unless she is in the trees in woods behind me

I have researched the news paper between the two brood chambers and understand how this works,however I am confused on how long it takes for them to eat through the paper?
Should I block the entrance of the bottom hive?
Will the top hive not have an entrance?
Which hive should I put the queen in?

Im sure when these questions are answered it will put new questions in my mind

when I have the two hives combined can I introduce the swarm hive once they are happy again?

See less See more
#4 ·
Why not requeen all three? If they have been without a queen for awhile you may get a laying worker colony. Have you done a solid search for the queen(s). Just because there are no eggs doesn't necessarily mean no queen. What is the temperament of the hives? This can be a good indicator of queenlessness.

#5 ·
Why not requeen all three? I want Honey this year and lots of it If they have been without a queen for awhile you may get a laying worker colony. just been without a queen for two weeks Have you done a solid search for the queen(s). yes, cant see her Just because there are no eggs doesn't necessarily mean no queen. What is the temperament of the hives? very ill manored This can be a good indicator of queenlessness.

This should help some

#8 ·
I am a little north of you but we have had pretty cold weather for March, in the 20's at night. Some of my nucs and weaker hives have lost some brood to the cold. Being so early in the year I think I would try feeding some sugar syrup for a couple of weeks and then recheck them. You should have plenty time to combine if their not laying after a little feeding or by then you should be able to find queens for sale. Not sure if queens are available for sale this early. Personally I have not seen drones yet. Good luck

#11 ·
45 minutes per hive searching all 10 frames and never saw her............ I did however, while combining hives decide to search all the hives again and found larva in the swarm hive so I combined it with one of the existing hives and going get a swarm hive that is going well and has larva in it, from my friend tomorrow to combine with the other existing hive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.