Thread: Hello from PA

Default Hello from PA

Hello everybody. I've never kept bees before and am planning on starting next year. I don't know anyone who has ever kept bees before so I know pretty much nothing about them. I've watched a few youtube videos and have signed up for two beginner classes later this year. Right now I'm searching for a few books to read, so any suggestions would be great.

What got me interested in bees is that I was looking to raise rabbits, and someone suggested I start with bees as I've never raised any animals before. My grandfather raised chickens, but we don't really have room for them at my house. My parents have a piece of land that they said I could put a hive on, so I'm looking for a sunny spot as there are a lot of trees around, but a small stream runs through it that flows all year round, so I think this would be a good water source. There aren't many flowers around, so I may plant a butterfly bush or two to help them out. This year I'm focusing on the planning end so that next year I can take the plunge.

I'm really looking forward to gaining as much knowledge as I can from everyone on here!

Sarah

Default Re: Hello from PA

Hi Sarah,

Perhaps you can find a local beekeeper who would be able to let you get some "face time" with bees...

Welcome, and enjoy the adventure...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Welcome to Beesource!

If your parents property is close enough to vist without excessive driving, it sounds fine. You may be surprised at the variety of plants that bees forage on. Traditional "flowers" are not required - weeds and some trees are excellent forage. Bees forage over several thousands of acres, so whether or not you plant a few bushes won't make a big difference.

As your planning progresses, try to see a way forward for making your initial start with at least two hives. Your chances of success will be significantly better with two, as you can use resources from one hive to fix problems with another.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 03-09-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Welcome to the forum Sarah! You will find this forum to be a great resource and I imagine you will make a friend or two as well. Keeping bees is a fabulous past time and for many a way of life. You are on your way towards an amazing adventure so buckle up!

There are so many books out there but a few I would recommend for a beginner would be Kim Flotums's, Backyard Beekeeper, David Cramps's, A Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Beekeeping, L.L Lanstronth's the Hive and the Honey Bee. Also Mike Bush has a great book out as well. Check out his website.

Planning is the key so read, read, read. Also join a bee club and find a mentor. There is nothing better than having someone to bounce questions and ideas off off plus getting some hands on experience prior to starting your own hives will relieve some of the anxiety. Good luck!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Also, there are lots of black walnut trees on the property with a field corn field across the street. There are lots of day lilies too along with forsythia and flowering weeds throughout the summer. My Dad said he would take down a few of the smaller trees if they were in the way, which I plan on doing as there isn't much sun under the trees, but how good of a nectar source are black walnuts? I can't seem to find it anywhere and would this be a good place to put a hive, provided I can get it sunny enough?

Hi Sarah, welcome
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by smacsek View Post
    Also, there are lots of black walnut trees on the property
    I have read that "honey dew" is secreted from the leaves of Black Walnut trees... in "Honey Plants of North America". I have no idea of its value to a colony.

Besides the immediate area, do you know if there are any Black Locust around?
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Sarah , I'm new here also but welcome ,my plan is very simular it would be nice to start this spring but I'm just not ready so I'm going to get everything around for next spring , I'm building my own boxes so I need the time .Good luck

Welcome to the site!

Welcome Sarah!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I read that bees travel a few miles looking for nectar etc. so maybe you are O. K. Try having a minimum of two hives for safety in case one hive becomes queenless and you want to put a frame with eggs in the other hive with hopes the bees can turn out a queen of their own..

Hello and Welcome!

I believe you'll find this forum to be an informative site to learn more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum - it contains a lot of advice covering the basics.

I also recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers:
    http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/map.htm

Welcome to beesource!!! Bees will forage from 1 to 4 mile radius from the hive. Your yard will make little difference in that amount of area. The bees know how to find the nectar and polen so they will be allright. the bigger "issues" that really aren't issues but things to keep in mind is getting bees (buying or cutting out) placing the hive keeping it level, having enough equipment on hand, figuring out what kind of equipment to use etc. Those are the bigger "issues". I've read where an averege of 15 hives can be kept in one yard without much trouble as long as there's enough space to put the boxes. Depending upon the flow of that particular area you may be able to keep more or less, but that's the ballpark. The best way that I learned was by doing. You may want to try to get bees this year instead of waiting for next year. I understand that research and planning is very important so you may not be able to, but if you can it will help you a TON.

Smile Re: Hello from PA

Hello Sarah,

Welcome. Beekeeping is a wonderful addiction!! As far as books go as you have noticed there is no shortage. Having read many, many books on bees, I would like to recommend "Why I keep Honeybee's (and why you should too)" by Grant Gillard, and "A Ton of Honey" also by Grant Gillard. I am a huge fan of Mr. Gillards writings and I think that you will be also. There are several other books that give a more scientific approach to setting up a hive etc. but few that will offer the inspiration that these do. I know that you said that you don’t know anyone that keeps bees, but if at all possible join a bee club and talk to some people, I bet you will find no shortage of people willing to mentor and possible even sell you some local bees (which I personally recommend). A good mentor is better than a thousand books! Trust me. Good luck

Hello I am from Lancaster Pa. There are several bee clubs in the area. I know the Lancaster Beekeepers assoc. had a bee keeping class in Feb. They have one each year. I went last year it was very informative. I also went to the lib and checked out all their biiks on beekeeping(3) and read them. Read tons of info from the internet. Good Luck.

Hi Sarah,
    I'd like to introduce you to our local beekeeping group, Lehigh Valley Beekeepers. We have a nice website at: www.lehighvalleybeekeepers.org I'll gladly send you a copy of our newsletter if you give me your email address. I've been keeping bees here in Whitehall, PA since 1980. Here's my email address: billzbeez@mondjackapiaries.com
    We have a club meeting coming up on March 21st and you are welcome to join us. If you check out the club website you should see info on our 'Calendar' page for more info. We also are bringing package bees to the Lehigh Valley on April 14 for beginners.
    Bill

Thanks for inviting me, but I won't be able to attend any meetings at least for the moment. I have classes Thursday nights and I don't know what the summer will bring with regards to my work schedule. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum, because I knew I wouldn't be able to attend the meetings to have help with this new adventure, but I will keep it in mind if anything changes!