Default Entrance reducer

I built my hives from plans on this sight and they came out awesome. I still need to make an entrance reducer. What should be the size of the openings. Also when starting with a nuc do you still use the smallest opening.

Default Re: Entrance reducer

Most traditional entrance reducers fit the 3/4" slot between the bottom board and bottom box. The entrance slot is usually 3/8" high by about 4" for the large one and 1" for the small one, but these can vary depending on the situation or beekeeper preference. I wouldn't go over 3/8" high as I have seen mice chew only a small amount to gain access.

To avoid robbing, I often reduce nuc entrances down to one bee width and height.

The one bee hieght and width would be smaller than the 1" opening so should I make a smaller temporary opening? When the hive is much stronger and no reducer should I make something to reduce the height to 3/8"?

I run mine 3/8" tall by 1/2" wide to start. Then, once it's an established - strong hive, I will open it all the way up to 3/8" tall by 2 1/2" wide.
    I've seen some open the entire opening up and run with it.... wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttankofish1 View Post
    The one bee hieght and width would be smaller than the 1" opening so should I make a smaller temporary opening? When the hive is much stronger and no reducer should I make something to reduce the height to 3/8"?
    Yes, adjust the entrance based on the hive's strength. Any small block of wood or even sticks will work temporarily.