Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee-ware Bear!

18K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Lazer128 
#1 ·
Man I hope this works. I will bait it with bacon tonight after I set up a game camera to monitor what happens. I hope to have some really shocking pictures next time! :cool: DC fence controller putting out more than the 7000 v. my tester will read. Son "tested" it for me and said it was "GOOD"! :eek:

I pick up the bees on March 30th.

That's the house/driveway in the upper left. I'll maintain a shooting lane from the front porch just in case!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Well thank you sir! Call me crazy (others have) but I can't stand to see painted hives in the woods/fields. I have always been a litter freak and they remind me of trash I guess? I also wanted to hide them from the public as much as I could. I hope the tung oil (100%) on cypress will last. If not, I'll paint the next ones. Brown-gray of course! lol

#9 ·
Looks well designed and should give all the animals pause.

Something we learned when electrifying a garden plot: If you have small critters getting by, grounding the lowest wire is an effective action because it makes quite a good circuit when touching the first and second (read hot) wires simultaneously. You could expand that idea by grounding every other wire going up the post -making it a lot easier to get a circuit to ground where the bear operates. How long is your grounding rod? HTH :)

#10 ·
Hot and ground wires alternate up the post. You can see the insulators on every other wire. I have (2) rods 8 feet deep spaced 10 feet apart. I may "staple" wire panels to the soil along the perimeter to increase the ground if I think I need to do so. I don't think I will need to do this much.

#15 ·
I had a Galligher ‘the rustler’ fencer. Filled up with water and stopped working the first couple of months. Can’t seem to get any customer support. My chickens suffered. Whose fencer are you using and have you had any experience with it?
LOVE the wood. Wood worker here and it just kills me to paint my hives.

#20 ·
! would think the wetter the better as long as the controller is protected from the elements. Mine is DC and can be seen under the platic tote with the battery. I will add a solar trickle charger to the system as soon as I get time. Until the I will be switching out batteries every month or so or whenever the voltage drops below 7000 volts.

#21 ·
That is some really nice work there. I think it will keep the bears at bay. My only criticism is I would not have alternated charged and ground wires... I would have charged all the wires. I did notice that you are on some pretty sand soil though, if that dries out the fence will probably stop working due to an incomplete circuit. Which I guess is likely the reason you alternated wires.

I would not bait the fence. The bees will be plenty of lure to attract the bears, no point in adding something extra.

#22 ·
Thanks for the comments. The sand you see is some I brought in to smooth off the site after I pushed up some trees. The soil is actually pretty good in this area. And yes I alternated them to improve the odds of a bear getting bit. I baited it hoping that the bears will be educated about the fence BEFORE I get the bees. It hasn't worked so far. Crows striped the bacon off of the wires yesterday. I suspected that is what happened and the game camera I have set up confirmed it. I am going to tie bacon grease soaked strips of cloth on it this evening. We have a group of bears that check out everything you touch. I have learned that they will walk dow the row in the garden that I just weeded or knock over the wood pile I just stacked. Real problem. They already checked out the fence before I baited it but I was hoping to shock them in their mouths if I can. I'll post pictures if I get any. Have a nice day.

#25 ·
Hmmmmm? I may have discovered a new bear repellant: Bacon grease! I am only kidding but I have not had a single visitor since I baited the fence other than a few crows. I switched from real raw bacon to bacon grease soaked strips of cloth. Camerta is still in place and working just waiting for the moment of truth!

I found a guy that is going to let me install one of his packages next Saturday. I can't wait! Less than 2 weeks before I get to install my own! Whoohoo!

#28 ·
I do not see insulatores fastening your "hot" wire to the posts, are you using insulators? This might be the reason your system "shorted out" during the rain.
I think you are replying to my comment, and yes, I had insulators. It wasn't so much that it shorted out, I think it grounded itself out and become ineffective. In any case, I will no longer depend on powered defenses. I went medieval.

#34 ·
Well thank you! That's a real compliment coming from a rocket scientist! :D As an architect, I am constantly battling with myself about doing things good enough or doing way "gooder" than they need to be. I just hope I am half as good a bee keeper as I am an apiary builder! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.