Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee-ware Bear!

Default Re: Bee-ware Bear!

That is some really nice work there. I think it will keep the bears at bay. My only criticism is I would not have alternated charged and ground wires... I would have charged all the wires. I did notice that you are on some pretty sand soil though, if that dries out the fence will probably stop working due to an incomplete circuit. Which I guess is likely the reason you alternated wires.

I would not bait the fence. The bees will be plenty of lure to attract the bears, no point in adding something extra.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    That is some really nice work there. I think it will keep the bears at bay. My only criticism is I would not have alternated charged and ground wires... I would have charged all the wires. I did notice that you are on some pretty sand soil though, if that dries out the fence will probably stop working due to an incomplete circuit. Which I guess is likely the reason you alternated wires.

I would not bait the fence. The bees will be plenty of lure to attract the bears, no point in adding something extra.
    Thanks for the comments. The sand you see is some I brought in to smooth off the site after I pushed up some trees. The soil is actually pretty good in this area. And yes I alternated them to improve the odds of a bear getting bit. I baited it hoping that the bears will be educated about the fence BEFORE I get the bees. It hasn't worked so far. Crows striped the bacon off of the wires yesterday. I suspected that is what happened and the game camera I have set up confirmed it. I am going to tie bacon grease soaked strips of cloth on it this evening. We have a group of bears that check out everything you touch. I have learned that they will walk dow the row in the garden that I just weeded or knock over the wood pile I just stacked. Real problem. They already checked out the fence before I baited it but I was hoping to shock them in their mouths if I can. I'll post pictures if I get any. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer128 View Post
    Well thank you sir! Call me crazy (others have) but I can't stand to see painted hives in the woods/fields. I have always been a litter freak and they remind me of trash I guess? I also wanted to hide them from the public as much as I could. I hope the tung oil (100%) on cypress will last. If not, I'll paint the next ones. Brown-gray of course! lol
    Not sure about your climate but here tung oil grows mould. It would be interesting to see the picture in 12 months time.
    Newly painted wood ( with tung oil) does look lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    Not sure about your climate but here tung oil grows mould. It would be interesting to see the picture in 12 months time.
    Newly painted wood ( with tung oil) does look lovely.
    I sure hope not! It is very humid here too. I have had 20.21" of rain since 1-1-13. I have researched it some after reading your comment and have read where it is more resistant to mold than most pure natural finishes. I expect the boxes to gray out a bit. It will be interesting to see. Heck......everything here has mold on it even the automobiles if they are not washed regularly. lol

Hmmmmm? I may have discovered a new bear repellant: Bacon grease! I am only kidding but I have not had a single visitor since I baited the fence other than a few crows. I switched from real raw bacon to bacon grease soaked strips of cloth. Camerta is still in place and working just waiting for the moment of truth!

I found a guy that is going to let me install one of his packages next Saturday. I can't wait! Less than 2 weeks before I get to install my own! Whoohoo!

I do not see insulatores fastening your "hot" wire to the posts, are you using insulators? This might be the reason your system "shorted out" during the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Denny View Post
    I do not see insulatores fastening your "hot" wire to the posts, are you using insulators? This might be the reason your system "shorted out" during the rain.
    Hmmmm? Mine has never shorted out? You must be responding to the comment Minz made? I used tube insulators on my fence.

I think you are replying to my comment, and yes, I had insulators. It wasn't so much that it shorted out, I think it grounded itself out and become ineffective. In any case, I will no longer depend on powered defenses. I went medieval.

Whoohoo!!!! As of 12:30 today, I am the proud landlord of 4 hives. All went well. Game cams are operating. We'll see how good the fence is.

Right on
    Sounds like your set up is tight

Can I ask; how did you make the handles on you boxes?
    No one famous.

I purchased my cypress boxes from Rossman. They cut that with a table saw blade with the stock supported at an angle. I have see a video of it being done on Youtube.

No self-respecting bear would dare touch hives this pretty

Good luck
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    No self-respecting bear would dare touch hives this pretty

Good luck
    Well thank you! That's a real compliment coming from a rocket scientist! As an architect, I am constantly battling with myself about doing things good enough or doing way "gooder" than they need to be. I just hope I am half as good a bee keeper as I am an apiary builder! lol

A few pics of my first installation ever this past Saturday.

Nice! Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by PAHunter62 View Post
    Nice! Good luck to you!
    Thank you Hunter. I am going into them this weekend (with a mentor) to check on the queens and what they have been up to this past week. I am really excited!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12