Default port orford cedar or yellow cedar hives

Anyone out there ever use port orford or yellow cedar for hives. It gives off a strange odor when cut and might be offensive to the bee's. I have a large supply of boards and it is very weather resistant and doesn't need any finish.

Default Re: port orford cedar or yellow cedar hives

I doubt it will bother the bees. Weather resistant wood is great, but all that is available here as a general rule is white oak. Very expensive, splits, and weighs a ton!

Peter

Never used or heard of their use in hives, but lots of folks use aromatic red (eastern red cedar) with no problem.

I have used both Alaskan yellow cedar and port orford extensively as boat planking....wonderful stuff to work with and the heartwood is extremely durable. But even the knotty grades are pretty darn pricy...3-4X the cost of comperable grade pine...and if you start talking select material you can be over 8$/ft.

I understand using what you have, but you truly have a "large supply", you could likely sell the cedar and build many more hives from a lesser wood. Maybe just keep some cedar for bottom boards.

I reclaimed a 1200+ sf deck. So I have around 2800 lf of 1 x 6. Not suitable for alot of things because of the weathering and the screw holes on 24" ctrs. Perfect to build a few hives. Since you have worked with both you know about the odd smell when you cut the boards. Cutting a few boards smells up my shop for days. Not offensive to me but don't want to give the girls a reason to abscond.