Default Adding brood/eggs to a package install?

It there any advantage to adding a frame or two of brood and eggs to a package install in a new hive? I have packages coming in next Monday, and wanted to kill two birds with one stone by both giving the new hives a little head start and open up the broodnest a little in the existing hives.

Default Re: Adding brood/eggs to a package install?

The first advantage would be the new bees hatching out for the entire 21 days until the new queen's eggs start to hatch. The 2nd advantage is the open brood helps keep the package bees satisfied with their new home.

Outstanding idea. Wish I had thought of it. If you don't mind, I will use it next chance I get.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

If you wait 2 weeks after install before adding the brood it can help with supercedure problems that are common with package bees. I guess the idea is that up to 3 weeks after install the bees sometimes think that their queen is a dud because the hive population is diminishing every day and no new bees are hatching out yet. John

>It there any advantage to adding a frame or two of brood and eggs to a package install in a new hive?

It will do MUCH to anchor them to the hive and keep them from moving next door or absconding. More than anything else you could do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Never had a swarm or a package obscond when a frame or two of open brood were added. It boosts them nicely and avoids the population dip that can occur before the actual first cycle of brood emerges.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

That combined with putting the package on drawn comb would be killer!

Is this a royalty free idea?
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Do you include the nurse bees from the donor hive, or do the new bees care for the open brood ?

I am wondering if there may be a potential downside.....depending on the mite load in the donor hive(s). It seems you could lose the inherent "brood break" that a package provides if you donate brood that is carrying a significant number of breeding mites? Just a thought.

If the brood is healthy it seems like a good idea on several other fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    Do you include the nurse bees from the donor hive, or do the new bees care for the open brood ?
    If you do it quick and the weather is nice it shouldn't matter, but if it is going to be long at all before you dump the package, then you should keep the covering bees on there. I would rather get everything ready and shake most of the bees off to make it easier to be absolutely positively 100% sure I'm not moving the queen.

The package bees (or swarm) will jump right in and take good care of the brood - I never see any brood mortality from this.

And of course there is a downside - you inoculate your package installation with any brood diseases or parasites that the donor hive has.

There might be a downside to installing on comb too - according to Mike Studer our state inspector - starting on foundation helps to "purge" nosema from the package. Also, you don't get all that nice new drawn comb. It sure does get them off to a good start though.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Thanks so much, David. That is just what I wanted to know.