Hybrid View

Default No queen in the box, no eggs, no brood, next day queen on ground with bees. what????

Default Re: No queen in the box, no eggs, no brood, next day queen on ground with bees. what

What do we do with this queen on the ground surrounded by bees. Did they kick her out, we did not see queen or eggs nor brood. Nothing..so what do we do with this queen? Help.......it's going to rain for four days here ....soon...need help.

Default Re: No queen in the box, no eggs, no brood, next day queen on ground with bees. what

Sounds like you have a virgin queen in the hive--they are very difficult to recognize. Did you see any queen cells when you were in there? If the bees are surrounding her and there are many, she might have somehow fallen out? Not usual, but most queens they were kicking out I've found dying or dead on the front porch of the hive with little interest. I would lift her up and put her back in the brood nest. If there is a new virgin queen, she will resolve the problem soon enough. If she is injured, she might be able to lay a few eggs for supercedure. If they kick her out again, I'd leave her be, but it would likely be because they've superceded her.

I had the same thing happen to one of my hives this weekend. I found the marked queen outside of the hive with a small cluster bees. That hive is not doing very well as the queen has not been laying for a while so I checked it out the following day. Found the old queen dead and thought that was the end of it. When I was putting the frames back in I noticed a small virgin queen and then it clicked. They superceded the old queen and when I put it back she probably got zapped by her daughter...
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tHANKS, SOMETIMES i FEEL SO INADEQUATE AS TO WHAT TO DO WHEN THUS AND SUCH HAPPENS. I NOW HAVE TWO HIVES WITH NO QUEENS OR SO I THOUGHT. THINKING I MAY NEED TO COMBINE THE TWO HIVES....WILL TAKE CARE OF PUTTING HER BACK IN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS...THANKS AGAIN,
    SHAR

I've been in that position so many times--panicking over my inability to access the situation in the moment when I have the hive torn apart and the inspection/split/whatever doesn't go the way I planned. For some reason my brain just shuts down--too much adrenaline. So I quickly put the hive back together, go in the house and calm down. Then I can think about it rationally and almost always can figure out the best solution, even though it usually means putting my suit back on and opening the hive again. The times I don't resolve it optimally, the bees do. If in doubt, just trust the bees--they've been doing it for thousands of years and wouldn't have survived this long if they couldn't overcome challenges like newbee beekeepers. That especially holds true when you think your queen is missing/dead, etc. They usually have it under control. Just put the lid back on and check back in a couple of weeks, and you will usually find eggs, brood, etc. Or if you want to feel useful, throw in a frame of eggs/open brood just as a backup for them. Won't hurt, might help!

Oh thank you as this can be quite confusing as what to do....thanks
    shar

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    Sounds like you have a virgin queen in the hive--they are very difficult to recognize. Did you see any queen cells when you were in there? If the bees are surrounding her and there are many, she might have somehow fallen out? Not usual, but most queens they were kicking out I've found dying or dead on the front porch of the hive with little interest. I would lift her up and put her back in the brood nest. If there is a new virgin queen, she will resolve the problem soon enough. If she is injured, she might be able to lay a few eggs for supercedure. If they kick her out again, I'd leave her be, but it would likely be because they've superceded her.
    Hi, We went thru the hive Sunday, the day before, and found absolutely nothing. No eggs, brood and no queen. This must be a virgin queen as she wasn't marked. Bob gathered her up and placed her and some bees in a box. We later put her back in the box and boy did they surround her. Guess they are getting rid of her. There is nothing to save if she dies...I get so frustrated at times. I've lost so many hives and I can only blame myself. I have been to meetings etc and read a lot. Have a mentor coming over to go thru the three boxes I have left soon. Thank you so much for your response. I believe you are correct. They'll probably kick her out again.

If they surrounded her, they might not be getting rid of her--they might be glad to see her. Question is, were they balling her or grooming her? It is the virgin queen who will find her and sting her to death if there is one. I don't think the worker bees kill a queen, only dispose of the dead or dying body. Either way, I think you did the right thing and have a queen, new or old. Give them a couple of days, then check in on them and see if she's been accepted. I would think it is awfully early in the season for them to supercede--do you have drones flying yet? If so, you probably have a new queen--give her about 10 days or 2 weeks, then check for eggs/larvae. If still none, you'll need to give them a queen or a frame of eggs if you have one. Good luck

BTW, I think you would have gotten a lot more responses if you had posted this in the general beekeeping forum rather than queen breeding--I don't think most people read this one.

Wink Re: No queen in the box, no eggs, no brood, next day queen on ground with bees. what

Quote Originally Posted by thenance007 View Post
    If they surrounded her, they might not be getting rid of her--they might be glad to see her. Question is, were they balling her or grooming her? It is the virgin queen who will find her and sting her to death if there is one. I don't think the worker bees kill a queen, only dispose of the dead or dying body. Either way, I think you did the right thing and have a queen, new or old. Give them a couple of days, then check in on them and see if she's been accepted. I would think it is awfully early in the season for them to supercede--do you have drones flying yet? If so, you probably have a new queen--give her about 10 days or 2 weeks, then check for eggs/larvae. If still none, you'll need to give them a queen or a frame of eggs if you have one. Good luck

BTW, I think you would have gotten a lot more responses if you had posted this in the general beekeeping forum rather than queen breeding--I don't think most people read this one.
    Hi and thank you for responding. I hope they don't kill her. I have not seen any drones at all flying around. There was nothing in the hive at all which made me suspect no queen either......crossing my fingers....

Thank for the info. This is my first post. I didn't know how to reply either