Default Ever try a queen excluder for partition?

As I read how many on the forum have had some brood in part of the last comb, I wonder why we couldn't make the partition out of a bee excluder. I'm already wondering how bad I will feel if brood messes up some of my honey.

First question: Why not make the partition a bee excluder and leave it where it after the fifth top bar?

Second question: If just the top portion of a bar/comb contains eggs or larvae, is the bottom of the comb still good for consumption?

Default Re: Ever try a queen excluder for partition?

Pondered this a bit.. excluder would work fine as a partition if your trying to keep the queen somewhere. but if your trying two queens, odds are workers would cross and ball or kill on if not both queens.

As for larve in your honey, yes the honey from brood comb is fine. normaly if you get that problem in a super (I do as I don't use excluders) just move the frames away from the brood nest and let them hatch

FYI normaly its the other way. brood on the bottom honey on top.....

Does anyone know what the proper space is for a queen excluder? I am considering placing a super on top of my top bar hive and wanted to know the proper spacing to keep the Queen down in the top bar.

This may be a bit of thread jacking, but it seems sorta related in my mind.

gmcharlie, I appreciate the help, but I'm using a Top-Bar hive.
    brettj777, I also could use that magic dimension. In the beekeeper's handbook, they list .162 of an inch which I think is 5/32".

What I'm considering is buying a queen excluder made for Landstroth hives and cutting it to fit in my hive like the partition. This would allow better control of keeping the brood in check.

Ahh so your wanting to use as an excluder in a horizontal direction! got it... you could, but an easier trick is to switch to 1 3/8 wide bars. to wide for normal brood comb may get a few drones, but not usually.

gmcharlie, your little tidbits of info make a HUGE difference for beginners like me. Now I just have to watch out for the brood getting too big for the space I provide. Yesterday I visited two local fire departments and gave them a flyer asking them to relay any calls about swarms to me. Thank you very much.

I've seen a video or photo of someone using Lang queen excluder to keep the queen out of the stores. Once you get a bar of honey the queen should stay behind it. 5 bars would be a small brood nest, unless your bars are really big.