Thread: red pollen

Hybrid View

Default red pollen

Does anybody have any idea what this could be alot of my bees was carring it in today.

Default Re: red pollen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

not a bad link for pollen colors.

Quote Originally Posted by kenr View Post
    Does anybody have any idea what this could be alot of my bees was carring it in today.
    I had to do some diggin the other day to figure it out too. The tan/greenish pollen is red maple. The fire engine red pollen is dead nettle. Then every now and then I have seen some fiery orange pollen. Don't know what that is. That red pollen is some perteh stuff.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

Funniest thing about deadnettle is that because those flowers are so small the bees have to dive straight in to get at that pollen, and once it really starts blooming heavily you'll see them come back with red all over their heads and backs, looks like a really bad dye job on a red mohawk.

Last year I saw a bee with red pollen inside a hive and it had a deadnettle flower stuck to its back leg! Sure giveaway where that red pollen came from.

Also called Henbit. A non-native flower. Also could be snowdrops but the pollen is usually a little more orange. Also a non-native plant. What would we do without all these non-native plants?!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

"Also called Henbit. A non-native flower. Also could be snowdrops but the pollen is usually a little more orange. Also a non-native plant. What would we do without all these non-native plants?!"

Hahaha non-native plants for a non-native pollinator. Though our native pollinators largely rely on those plants as well. Not much native blooms for the native pollinators this early.

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Also called Henbit.
    Henbit and deadnettle look very similar, but I am pretty sure they are a different species.

I saw that bright red pollen a few days ago (only one bee) and it was so red I thought is might be fake or man made until I read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamium_purpureum

This is the purple flower we see growing on farm land before a crop is planted, it can be a thick ground cover. Wikipedia says it is a good nectar and pollen scorce.