Default Feeding already?

I live in Northern Wisconsin and the current daytime high temperature has been about mid thirties. I am being told by locals that I should be feeding pollen patties and bee sugar/fonduant. This would require opening up the hive and placing the feed on frames above cluster. Can you do this with the temps in the mid thirties? It is also suggested I lift the top box to determine it's weight. Can you do this with temps in mid thirties? If the bees are in top box wouldn't they be disrupted if that box is lifted?

Default Re: Feeding already?

Mid thirties is fine. I've done it much colder. You only want the cover off or a minute or two. Just don't do it on a windy day. I started feeding patties last week and I've had dry sugar (mountain camp method) on since late January. I'm about 20 miles southeast of Chicago. I would go with what the locals are doing. You can lift the back of the hive to check stores but try not to jar the hive too much.

How do you typically feed the pollen patties? I have my two deeps then the inner cover and then a medium super with the telescoping top. Would you put it on top of the inner cover?

Thanks for the help!

Allen,its best to feed right on the top bars with an empty box or a 2inch spacer box over it as the bees won't go on the top of the inner cover unless its warm enough to break cluster
    Good Luck, Mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I do the mountain camp method of dry sugar feeding. There are many threads on how to do it. Basically take the inner cover and lid off. Place empty box or shim. Lay down newspaper inside the box. Then pour sugar on the newspaper. Put the inner cover and lid back on. The sugar will absorb moisture and the bees will eat through the newspaper to get to the sugar. I usually just throw the patty in with the sugar. I only feed a 1/3 of the patty at a time. It limits waste and doesn't give SHB a breeding ground. I you are just feeding patties you can just throw it on the top bars of your upper box then put the covers back on. Preferably, you want to get the patties by the bees but sometimes the temps won't allow you to.

I guess my question is....do they need feeding? Are you planning to feed because they are low on stores....or are you hoping to stimulate them into building up early?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Beemandan: I am very small operator with 10 hives or so. This year I purchased package bee's from two different sources. Both of the sources are recommending feeding pollen patties now. In addition they are also recommending feeding any hives that are light. I think it is too early up here to be stimulating them. We could easily get below zero temps yet. I prefer the packages from Georgia over California. I tried carniolians last year and was very happy with them. Have you tried them? Thanks for the response here.

From everything I have heard from the local people around here, you start feeding in the fall and quit feeding when they don't take it any more.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Lift the bottom board from the back an inch or so to get a feel for the weight of the colony. This won't disturb the cluster. Highly advise against lifting only top box unless temps are in the 50's and you want to inspect.
    If light then feed. As for pollen sub, that's a personal choice depending on what you want. If you want big colonies early then feed it but be aware big early colonies are also more prone to swarm and may need split.
    They can also make you more honey if swarming is averted.