Default Wouldn' you know it!

Last week I hived a small swarm I caught 2 weeks ago. They are still building comb but with so few bees it is going slow.

As of Friday 5/1/15 I had not caught any other swarms and was really wanting to get more bees. So says I to Me " ya best order some bees quick before it is too late ya dumb cajun". So I always listen when me talks so I ordered 2 packages from Kelly bees.

This morning I go and check 2 swarm traps about a mile behind the house and guess what I found. Not 1 but 2 swarm traps with bees in them. I don't know how long they have been in the traps as it has been too muddy to get back there. I think I will leave them in the traps a couple of days just to make sure they are getting settled in before moving them. I did listen at the boxes and heard good busing come from both so maybe these will be bigger swarms than the first one I caught.

Would this be a good idea or should I get them ASAP.

Default Re: Wouldn' you know it!

How big are your traps and were the frames drawn at all?
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

>I think I will leave them in the traps a couple of days just to make sure they are getting settled in before moving them.

Yes leave them for a few days to a week, you want them to brood up before you give them a reason to leave. If they are bearding then you need to get them in a bigger box right away.

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    How big are your traps and were the frames drawn at all?
    I use full size medium that I can put right on the base. No drawn comb at all. All brand new equipment I built this winter. Full sheet of wired foundation in the middle then starter strips on each side.

I am a brand new bee keeper. All I know about bees I have learned on forums and youtube.