Default Brood on Bottom of Frames

I have standard Langstroth hives. Today I inspected one and found brood between the 4 center frames of the first (full) and second (medium) hive bodies. There is ample room in both hive bodies and a third medium in addition. This was the only hive with this condition. I estimate better than a dozen brood in various stages were opened. I scraped them and the comb from the frames. Has anyone seen this before? Should I requeen? The brood pattern looks good in this hive otherwise. I'm in mideast GA and we have had some strange weather throughout the winter with Temps swinging from the 60's to the 30's in a day or two.

Default Re: Brood on Bottom of Frames

sounds like drone brood,, natural,,

Typically there is not enough drone comb for the bees in the spring, and since they want lots of drones for swarm season, they will put them anywhere they can. It's quite common to find drone brood between boxes.

You can help them out by putting an empty foundationless frame close to the outside of the box this year and let them draw it out. They will make a large area of drone brood, may or may not raise a big crop of drones, but will then use it for storage. Next year, when they want a lot of drones in the Spring, they will have a place to raise them instead of between the boxes.

Peter

Thanks, I'll do that in all my hives and in future ones as well. Would you recommend 2 frames in a medium (ILL) super?

Two should keep them happy. Put them outside the brood nest, second position from the side of the box, or one place further in, wherever the edge of the brood is.

When you put them in, put them between fully drawn and capped comb if you can, otherwise the bees can get creative and make crazy comb.

Peter

Yup.....drones.

I have added foundationless frames too. When you give them a choice, they seem to draw drone comb when they really need it. The best thing about giving them that foundationaless frame? Less burr comb.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach