Default Tons of bees on the screen bottom board???

Because the last three days have been in the high 60*, I decided to work my hives. I had painted all the wooden ware and wanted to exchange the hive wooden ware to the newly painted boxes... So, I started removing each frame and placing it in the new boxes, working my way down the hive until I came to the screen bottom board and was surprised to find 1000's of bees on the bottom board.. There was plenty of brood, eggs, feed and nurse bees and I found no swarm cell or other queen cells... What's going on? I have been keeping bees for 13+yrs and have never found this before.. The queen was not on the bottom board.

Default Re: Tons of bees on the screen bottom board???

Last edited by beepro; 03-10-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Oops!

No, the bees are alive! 1000s of them... I have Italian bees.. and I have bottom entrances.

is the screen bottom open? If it is you might try closing it and see if it helps.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I imagine they're on the bottom of the screen then outside the hive? Sometimes they get confused and can't find the entrance and do that.

No, they were in the bottom of the hive.. The entire bottom board was complete covered with at least two bee deep! I called a fellow BK and he felt like it may have been the smoke that 'ran' them down to the bottom. That hive is still seem very active, today but the bottom board ( as best as I can tell ) isn't covered..