Default New keeper in CT needs Nucs

Hello,
    My name is Adrian and I recently purchased a house in Clinton CT.

I've read and researched my fair share about beekeeping and as is normal for me I delay and delay until it's probably too late. I tend to over research (if there is such a thing) because I think it would be awful for me to jump into this and do a disservice to the bees.

I've always lived in CT, my father owns a farm, I live on 2.5 acres, been around bees before (my grandfather has always had bees and his father before), and I thought it was about time I stopped ignoring my roots and got some bees. I've spent these last cold months learning and spent yesterday with my Gramp just talking about bees.

Long story short I am looking for 2 local nucs. My grandfather's remaining hives are getting mean and my wife is a bit leery of bees because of a childhood experience so I'd prefer not to scare her away (I need a gentle set :-) . I would prefer to find a local beekeeper to supply my bees (I will gladly pay) but I am not against ordering and having bees shipped if I have to. So my question is two fold,
    1) Any local CT people looking to help a newbie start out (or know someone I can contact who you've dealt with)
    or
    2) can anyone provide me with a testimonial on places like Walter T Kelley, Draper's, etc.

I'm building the hives myself (though I do have one from my Gramp) as I have access to a full wood shop and I feel like it's a better way to learn about the hive. I will also be contacting the CT Beekeeper's Association and Backyard Beekeeper's Association.

Thank you for your time!

Adrian

Default Re: New keeper in CT needs Nucs

Hey Adrian! Another option is to requeen the mean hives. That usually always works to calm them down.

If you are looking for nucs I would try Full Bloom Apiaries. Alan is in Franklin, CT. I have a couple nucs coming from him this spring. He has a great reputation. Check out his website. www.fullbloomapiaries.com I am not sure what he has left for nucs. They go fast and folks order early for this stuff.

I have a buddy of mine bringing up 450 packages from down south at the end of April. If you choose to go that route I can call him and get you on the list or I can give you his contact info. I think he has a few left. If you are concerned with using southern stock you could always requeen them with a northern breeder queen this summer.

Walter T Kelly has good equipment. There is a dealer nearby in Woodbury that I occasionally go through. I build my own woodenware incl frames though.

Both of those organizations are great. I am a member of both. The BBK meets the last Tues of the month. I am gonna try to get to my first meeting this year this month.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

-Darryl
    Last edited by dnichols; 03-10-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: more info
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Sent you a PM
    Think about it....Buy American

If you don't find anything I have a couple of medium Carniolan nucs that will be available. They were started last summer with Olivarez queens so they're not "local".

Welcome to the forum...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

BeeCurious. He said he prefers a local beekeeper. not local bees. I mention this because last year I wanted the same thing and where the bees came from I didn't care. I wanted someone from my area that had bees they had chosen to keep in this area. if they came from Alaska it did not matter to me. What did matter is that they where bees that can successfully be kept here. In this case if it where me. I am looking more for your experience than that the bees are local.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    BeeCurious. He said he prefers a local beekeeper. not local bees.
    He's looking for "local nucs". Obviously, a local nuc would come from a local beekeeper...

In my opinion, I believe the majority of people would assume that a "local nuc" means a local queen as well.

The op can provide clarification as to what he desires...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

My apologies for not being specific enough. To clarify I want a nuc from a local beekeeper that has overwintered their hive so that I know they'll do well up here. I prefer a local keeper because I can meet the person, see their hives, and see where my queen came from (besides, support local!)

Whether the queen is local or not is open to debate. Ideally she is young and born here but I realize her lineage is probably from a far off place. That's fine so long as the hive has a proven track record of surviving several winters. My priority is a young queen who is gentle, won't swarm, and produces well.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ARGluck; 03-10-2013 at 11:23 AM.

AR, Those sound like the qualities I'm looking for in my next wife

What you could do, if you can get your grandfathers bees for free is start your own nuc. just time it so you can put your own queen in there. You can buy queens that are produced in New England. In a few weeks the old bees will be dying off and the new bees will be from your new queen. Just an idea...

I too think you should try Allan at Full Bloom Apiaries in Franklin, CT.
    Best place to find a mentor is to join a bee club, our bee club CT beekeepers association ctbees.com.

Good luck Gilman

I'll give Allan a call but the site lists them as out of stock for the year.

I thought about re-queening some of my Grandfather's but he's down a lot of hives over the last few years as he transitions out of the hobby. He's well into his 80s and I'm just trying to learn what I can from him.