Default Inner cover - to notch or not notch?

I have a couple inner covers that are notched at the front (so the bees can enter from the top, and for ventilation I suppose ). I just bought some inner covers and they are not notched, however they have the hole in the center of the cover. Shouldn't there be a notch at the front of the cover? If the cover is in place with no notch, no air can escape the top (even though the hole is in the center of the cover). Am I missing something?

Default Re: Inner cover - to notch or not notch?

Yeah when you buy inner covers they usually come with no notch. Put a notch in there. You will be happy you did. Another option is to just prop up. Mike B does this and many others are going to the top entrance method.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

If you want to make the inner cover easier to break, put a notch in it. If you want to give them an upper entrance, set the roof back slightly.

Crazy Roland

I make my own inner covers that are thicker than the ones you buy. I put a notch in them for ventilation, but keep the outer cover pushed back against it in the cold part of the winter. This reduces the airflow without cutting it off completely.

I've found the commerical covers to be quite flimsy, and my brother's feral bees glue them down so well it's impossible to get then off intact. Mine are an inch and a half thick, with 3/8" plywood set into a dado 1/8" up from the bottom. Gives more space on top to feed if you need to and they are much stronger.

Peter

We notch ours on the router table, super easy.
    Dan

Notch for sure. Ventillation year round and an additional entrance when they need it.

Seems like a lot of the suppliers notch them now...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm actually glad this got brought up. I started out last year and made most of my woodenware (inner cover and frames were the only things I bought), but my inner covers didn't have a notch in them. I wish I had notched them myself, to aid in ventilation, as I had to go out and prop it up a bit. Planning on notching them this year, as well as the ones I'm making this year. (Done buying woodenware other than frames.)

Last year I notched my inner covers on the thicker side of the edging because it looked to give the bees more room to crawl through. I seem to remember that others told me I should have notched the thinner edging of the two sides. I keep the notch down during the summer, so it is direct access for the bees to enter immediately into the box and not have to crawl across the inner cover. Plus I use bucket feeders anyway. So...which side should I be notching on my inner covers this year? The thinner or thicker side? Thanks, juzzerbee