Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee sting

Sad Bee sting

I ha what they call a large local reaction to a sting. Got stung on the side of the hand and it has swollen up about twice the size. I cannot hardly move two fingers. Hope I do not develop any allergy.

Default Re: Bee sting

Probably hit a vein or closed up some lymphatic system and you're retaining fluids cuz of it.

I am new at this, but I have been stung quite a few times. Stings on my arms, I barely feel and they have basically no effect. Stings on my hands cause them to swell a lot. Not sure why?

Localized swelling is not an allergy, you may just be one of those people who swell up when you are stung.

Yeah, Igot stung on the cheek last week. I did not hardly feel it. Feel the hand though.

At first, I had small very local reactions. Then I hot stung on the inside of my wrist by 2 bees.
    Then several days later on my cheek. Both swelled up to twise their size.

I dont mind the sting pain, but 3 days of swelling, that is not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Slee View Post
    Localized swelling is not an allergy, you may just be one of those people who swell up when you are stung.
    100% correct, an allergy is a reaction distant to the cause, but a swelling can still be dangerous if it is near the windpipe.

Any of the antihistamines wil help the swelling, as well as a topical steriod.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Dr. told me to drink about 1/4 of a small bottle of Benedryl when I get stung. Works I tell ya.

I have tried that the longer the sting pumps poison into your system the bigger it swollen.
    Immediately when I got stung I removed the bee sting. This helps to stop the poison sooner.
    The result is less swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Dr. told me to drink about 1/4 of a small bottle of Benedryl when I get stung. Works I tell ya.
    Two dry martini's will do the same

Had same thing last year. Took few days to go away drink a lot of water.

Got stung by a wasp once on my tongue while drinking an ice tea, could not talk properly for a day, now I always look in my drink before taking a sip!!!!

I don't mind the sting so much as the itchiness for a couple days after. Drives me nuts!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

When I get stung in the face or my throat I swell up bad. Ive never had any problems breathing or anything like that. But last year one got in my hood and stung me under my jaw line the stinger stayed in there for quite awhile. It swole up bad. It swelled worse than any other time i had ever been stung. I had recently started taking some blood pressure medicine called lysinipril I found out it could be dangerous. My doctor didnt know anything about it could be bad to take that medication and get stung. I read about it on the internet it was studied in some other country. I do think it was what caused me to swell that bad. You guys need to check that out. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...th-a-Bee-Sting!!! Here is another thread on Beesource about it. Plus there is lots of reading on the internet if you do a searh.

Hi Billy,

Honeybee stings on my hands, arms, and neck produce pain of short duration, and mild swelling. Stings on my face make me look like Quasimodo!

Some develop tolerance to stings. A few become progressively more sensitive.

If you think you may be among the latter group, ask your MD. for a prescription for an EPIPen based on your choice of hobby or demands of your job.

Keep in mind that the quicker you remove the stinger (scrape off with your hive tool is best) the better because the muscle on the toxin sac pulsates for many seconds after the bee is gone. More time = more venom = bigger reaction.

Stay healthy...

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    I have tried that the longer the sting pumps poison into your system the bigger it swollen.
    Immediately when I got stung I removed the bee sting. This helps to stop the poison sooner.
    The result is less swelling.
    Remove the sting by scratching it out rather then pulling - less poison in your system.

Preparation-h for a topical works great!!! Seriously! (Gotta do it as soon as you can though!) Stings suck, no doubt! I know I am not getting less sensitive, I still swell like a plugged balloon....but the Prep-h, ice, and benadryl sure does help! As do a couple G&T's.... They do seem to hurt less as time goes by though.... maybe I am getting used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by billybwf View Post
    I ha what they call a large local reaction to a sting. Got stung on the side of the hand and it has swollen up about twice the size. I cannot hardly move two fingers. Hope I do not develop any allergy.
    Sorry to hear this.
    I do not afraid pain, but I hate stings! I just hate them. Luckily, so far, I have no much swelling... but, who knows... I am using a "table-vinegar" on stings - it reduces inflammation if applied immediately. I could not understand why it works, but it works on me. Swelling itself is not necessary indication of allergy, but it may be dangerous itself if affected the vital tissue.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Adolph's meat tenderizer works great...try it you will be amazed how well it kills they pain...tho the martini idea sounds good...might be worth getting stung

Quote Originally Posted by honeybeebee View Post
    Adolph's meat tenderizer works great...try it you will be amazed how well it kills they pain......
    Make perfect sense - it contains papain, which destroys proteins and probably bee-venom. Do they still sell it? I saw a few posts on the Internet that it is not available (the original one).
    Серёжа, Sergey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast