Hybrid View

Default Where to buy bulk seed for bees?

Where have you found the best prices on bulk clover/flower seeds for bees? I have 3 acres I would like to plant with clover and flowers for the bees this Spring.

Default Re: Where to buy bulk seed for bees?

If you are buying a lot of forage type seed, shipping can be an significant cost. A local vendor where shipping is part of the price may be your best choice. I would check with a local farm supply store/coop to see what they offer.

It appears that Tractor Supply and Mills Fleet Farm both have stores near you.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hancock Seed , advertises on Beesource Has good prices . A little hard to get around, search for clover.

You may want to try these people. They seem to have a good selection. Your local feed and seed and some hometown hardware stores will stock clover for deer forage and other crover crops. I haven't decided what I want to seed yet so I haven't placed an order with them. In Thursday's bee meeting the conversation was cover crop vs trees and shrubs as far as nectar and pollen source. The opinion seemed to be that the trees and shrubs where the way to go.

http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/clover-seed/

We do have a local seed store that sells bulk clover seed, but nothing for bulk flower seed. I will give these places a try. Thank you for the suggestions!

I go to the local farm store for things like white sweet clover, yellow sweet clover, white dutch clover, birdsfoot trefoil, chicory, alfalfa, aslike clover. Wildflowers I don't get in bulk...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have had great success with deer creek seed.
    www.deercreekseed.com

I was able to find yellow sweet clover, white Dutch clover, birdsfoot trefoil and wildflowers. Yellow sweet clover is by far the least expensive per pound.