Thread: Bees on 3-9-13

Default Bees on 3-9-13

http://s697.beta.photobucket.com/use...790ce.mp4.html

My bees are quite active today. On first thought a couple days ago I thought I lost two hives, one on either side of the very active hive in the middle. Then I thought the one in the middle was the dead one because it was so heavy thinking the stores didn’t get consumed.

Does it look like robbing of that middle hive to you. Robbing is difficult for me to determine. If it is not robbing that is going to be another monster hive for me to split to pieces this year.

the video link is to photobucket that I have not used for videos before. Let me know if the video is view able please.
    Last edited by Acebird; 03-09-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Bees on 3-9-13

The video is fine. Does not look like robbing to me. Would have liked to see up close to give my 100% guarantee though.
    In a robbing situation you will see a brownish waxy residue at the top hole in an inner cover. This would be on the outside of the hive.

Jean-Marc

Robbers will land on the hive and then hunt for the entrance, and fly around checking out cracks looking for a way in. There will also be bees fighting on the landing board and dead bees on the ground if a live hive is being robbed. Much less fighting if it's a deadout.

Orientation flights have bees climbing up the front of the hive to leave, and flying directly into the entrance. Orientation flights last half an hour or so, robbing will continue until there is nothing left in the hive.

Peter

Thanks for your opinions. It looks like I have never witnessed robbing in one of my hives if nothing is left.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post

If it is not robbing that is going to be another monster hive for me to split to pieces this year.
    When you say "split to pieces" do you mean split to pieces in a non-intervention sort of way?

Last edited by BeeCurious; 03-09-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Rolling eyes...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

http://s697.beta.photobucket.com/use...790ce.mp4.html
    Does it look like robbing of that middle hive to you. Robbing is difficult for me to determine. If it is not robbing that is going to be another monster hive for me to split to pieces this year.

the video link is to photobucket that I have not used for videos before. Let me know if the video is view able please.
    Well ace i had a hive robbed out in dec. and it looked like a booming hive but i know better .
    I know when there hive was robbed there was a nother hive just as busy and that was the one doing the robbing.
    I hope you have another monster hive but that looks like robbing to me and yes the video worked well.
    Good luck ACE.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    When you say "split to pieces" do you mean split to pieces in a non-intervention sort of way?

Absotively!
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    I hope you have another monster hive but that looks like robbing to me and yes the video worked well.
    Good luck ACE.
    Don't you love how different beekeepers see different things? Makes it kind of hard for us newbies.

Scenario 1: active hive is dead and being robbed out by weaker hive that is low on stores.

Scenario 2: active hive is just a strong hive. Other hive is just minding it's business.

My personal goals is to come through winter with one surviving hive that can put up with my non intervention behaving. Too early to tell but there is hope.
    Brian Cardinal

I checked the hive this morning when it was 37 degrees and no flying. The hive in question is packed with bees just under the inner cover. I don't think it was robbing unless that hive was robbing from some other hive.
    Brian Cardinal

Don't you love how different beekeepers see different things? Makes it kind of hard for us newbies. .
    Ace your right and i'm going into my 4th year so i don't know alot but i did have one hive robbed out and it kinda looked like that just saying .
    You'll have to let us now how things unfolds.
    But i do hope ya have a great year i was in my hives today and i seen some brood that sure was a great feeling.
    P.S. nice dog.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

I went through the hive that showed no activity. Dead, showed signs of starvation, and nosema or dysentery. I would have thought the hive next to it would rob it out.
    Brian Cardinal

Rob out this time of year in NY? Ace, it's still winter!
    Regards, Barry

Well yesterday that one hive looked like it was the middle of June. We were in the garden spreading fertilizer and my bees were all over this ground weed that has blue flowers! I couldn't believe it. A week ago we had snow. How the heck did the weeds get flowers? So when do you think robbing could ensue in the spring in Upstate NY?

I was thinking of putting the left over frames of honey in the weaker hive but I am not sure if that is a good idea or not.
    Brian Cardinal

Why not? I put some full frames from my one dead-out into one where the cluster was right up under the inner cover. Why wouldn't you?
    Regards, Barry