Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

granulation in honey supers

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jmgi 
#1 ·
When going through my dead colonies the last couple days, I have come across about 10 medium honey supers that are still full of honey in various stages, most of the capped honey still appears to be liquid, but there is quite a bit that is uncapped and 75% or more granulated in the cells, I am assuming that the uncapped must have been nectar that didn't get fully cured, or else uncapped honey granulates quicker than capped honey. I did no feeding of sugar syrup to these hives so it isn't that. Anyways, how do you all handle combs like this, I want to maintain them as honey super combs and not make brood combs out of them just to get the granulated honey used up, but maybe I don't have any choice? I thought about uncapping and extracting the combs to get the liquid honey out and then the remaining granulated honey in the combs can be returned back to the honey supers to be put on when the flows kick in. Is that a bad idea? Will the bees clean them out at all before storing new honey in them? Thanks. John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.