Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Releasing the Queen

Pat, no expert here, but I think if you are releasing that queen in a hive full of bees I would let them eat through the candy and not free-release. They should be happy to smell her though.

Quote Originally Posted by shannonswyatt View Post
    Pat, no expert here, but I think if you are releasing that queen in a hive full of bees I would let them eat through the candy and not free-release. They should be happy to smell her though.
    I agree with that wholeheartedly.

However, should I just throw the cage in the bottom or try to attach it to a bar?

Gotcha. I wouldn't attach, just because I think they would end up making a mess of it if you didn't get it out soon. Life seems to get in the way of bee keeping, and things you intend to do in two days happen in two weeks. And I'm also on the lazy side.

If they didn't release her in a couple days you could free release her. They should be used to her at that point. After reading that Michael Bush free-releases queens with packages I'm thinking that isn't a bad way to go.

I suspended that caged-chick from a hair-clip tie-wrapped to a top-bar. Man it was sweet. Now just crossing my fingers.

But yes, found a supplier local here to central Florida on Craigslist.

Cool. Best of luck. I'm sure that they were much happier having a queen.

>You say IF you direct release your queen...is there a time when you would not?

When requeening an established hive with a purchased queen, I never direct release the queen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael, would it be ok if you left her in there a few days first and they haven't chewed through the candy?

so I was talking to an old beekeeper tonight at our local meeting and he told me his way to direct release the Queen. He just pulls the plug and holds his finger over the hole then he holds the Queen cage up to the Hive opening and basically waits for her to be going the wrong way, moves his finger, and she will turn around and walk right into the hive since there's no other way to go she doesn't fly away. That was his way of direct release and he says he's never lost a queen yet...

It sounds pretty good and given the way my top bar is set up ( I have 1 inch holes for entrances) I plan to try this technique.

We had a speaker at our club last night and what he does is he has made a bigger 5 sided queen cage, about a half inch think and about 6x6 that he puts the queen under and then she is on comb, just push it in the comb a bit to stay in place. This way she can start to lay right away. I had never heard of that method before.

There is nothing new in beekeeping!