Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Releasing the Queen

I am a first year beekeeper. I do not know anyone else with TBH in my area, so I am doing my best to get ready from books and the internet. I will be getting my package bees in less than a month. Everything I have read has said to leave the queen in her cage and just let the workers free her, at least until I started reading on here. I don't want to start off with bad comb, but I am worried about the workers balling the queen when they have not become accustomed to her, yet. Are there signs I need to look for in the package to make sure they won't kill her, or something else I might do to prevent any aggression towards her?

Default Re: Releasing the Queen

In my experience, the bees will or won't stay, and releasing the queen directly has nothing to do with it. The quality of the queen, I think, has everything to do with it. Hanging the cage from the frames leads to combs that are messed up and one messed up comb leads to more messed up comb. I direct release the queen. Shake the bees in the bottom, pop the cork with your finger over it to block the queen, and lay the cage on top of the pile of bees on the bottom, and let go and put in the bars.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackage...thangqueencage
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    In my experience, the bees will or won't stay, and releasing the queen directly has nothing to do with it. The quality of the queen, I think, has everything to do with it. Hanging the cage from the frames leads to combs that are messed up and one messed up comb leads to more messed up comb. I direct release the queen. Shake the bees in the bottom, pop the cork with your finger over it to block the queen, and lay the cage on top of the pile of bees on the bottom, and let go and put in the bars.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackage...thangqueencage
    I was wondering if this procedure would be different for "new wood" hives? (A hive that has never held bees and has no drawn comb available in it)

Is there something you would recommend to increase the likelihood of them staying? Obviously if the Queen is in the will stay longer and possibly decide the TBH isnt a bad place once the Queen is released, but at the risk of bad combs.

Brett

I didn't think about the new hive aspect of things. Last month at the bee club they were talking about swarm traps and using essential oils to entice the bees to take up residence. Would lacing the hives with mint oil or lemon grass oil possibly encourage the package to set up residence?
    I have decided I am going to ask the local supplier I am getting my packages where exactly they are coming from and how long they most likely will be in the package before I ever see them.

Four drops of lemongrass essential oil will do much to keep a package in the hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In a pinch (if like me you can't get lemon grass oil unless by special order) use a bruised stalk of lemon grass, only costs $1 or so in the produce section. :-)

Rub it well on the walls and bars before you put the package in.

Cheers, Thomas.

All right, I have spoken with the supply store about how long the package will be in transit. I am ready with the oil, and I have the confidence now to try a direct release. Three more weeks and then here we go!

Keep in mind it is quite important to give them enough space but not too much when installing bees. Limit the number of frames to 10 to 12 bars initially with the follower board.
    Too much space.... they will leave. My experience..... once.

Shake the bees in the bottom, pop the cork with your finger over it to block the queen, and lay the cage on top of the pile of bees on the bottom, and let go and put in the bars.

How long to you then wait to retrieve the queen cage? Five minutes, an hour, a day?

Since the bees have to build comb, it will take quite a while for the bees to get to the queen cage with the comb. You can leave it in there for a week or more. No rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Since the bees have to build comb, it will take quite a while for the bees to get to the queen cage with the comb. You can leave it in there for a week or more. No rush.
    I'm talking about a direct release.... the queen should be out of the cage immediately.

i install my packages an hour or two before sunset this way they don't have time to leave before it gets dark.some will start flying but that's OK. i also direct release my queens.by the morning they should have some comb built since you have a top bar hive you can put the feeder can inside over night.

Not necessarily immediately. I wouldn't recommend waiting for her to release. Pull the cork, leave it in the bottom, close the hive, retrieve it later. Just how I'd do it.

Close off any screened bottoms.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

>How long to you then wait to retrieve the queen cage? Five minutes, an hour, a day?

The next time I happen to be in the hive and happen to see it. A week, a month, a year...

>How long to you then wait to retrieve the queen cage? Five minutes, an hour, a day?

The next time I happen to be in the hive and happen to see it. A week, a month, a year...
    Ok. I thought I'd read somewhere that you want to remove the queen cage, that it could confuse the bees due to scent and lead them to ball the actual queen or something....I'll probably take it out the next day...

I appreciate all the replies- thanks.

If I direct release her I usually remove the cage, but I trust my instincts and have direct released a lot of queens. Sometimes, still, she flies. The reason I recommend leaving the cage is so she runs out after you're not over her scaring her, and if you are quick maybe after you get the bars put back in. They will take some interest in the cage, but will be more interested in the queen who left her smell there. She will smell more strongly than the cage.

You say IF you direct release your queen...is there a time when you would not?

If I direct release her I usually remove the cage, but I trust my instincts and have direct released a lot of queens. Sometimes, still, she flies. The reason I recommend leaving the cage is so she runs out after you're not over her scaring her, and if you are quick maybe after you get the bars put back in. They will take some interest in the cage, but will be more interested in the queen who left her smell there. She will smell more strongly than the cage.

Has anyone poked a hole in the candy and left the cage on the bottom of the hive to let the bees release the queen?

How would you all recommend releasing a queen in an established top bar hive that already has approx 5/8 of a hive of drawn comb?

I did an inspection yesterday and found no brood. It's my fault because I tried to do a split about a month and a half ago. For one, I was overconfident it wouldn't get cold again here Florida. Also, I'm pretty sure I mistakenly included the queen in the new hive.

I understand that there could possibly be a queen in the original hive that they raised after I mistakenly took
    their queen, but I didn't see her and I don't want to take that chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast