Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

First Sting of the Year

4K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  jetchill 
#1 ·
Sure. Just toss a pattie on. Had my jacket on but my veil not up.

Right in my bottom lip. That's a new one.

Ouch.

#5 ·
Three so far, two where random accidents not near the hive just walked into the path of returning foragers and got hit for my troubles: one right between the eyes, and the other mid cheek, I think my bead freaked her out ;-)
The third was my fault, I was cutting a zip tie during an inspection and they took offence to the "snip" as the side cutters did their job. That one hit a vein on my wrist, felt the venom hit my shoulder in no time!

#8 ·
I notice your thread title, and the responses thereto, seem to assume there is a time of year without stings. Not around here. I work bees almost every day of the year (and enjoy every moment of it). Even with rain being a rare event, I sometimes find I must work them even then, that's when I find myself occasionally draping the veil over my head, though I still get stung regularly on the fingers and hands.

#11 ·
I may not always tie it but my veil is always over my head. When I was younger and skinnier my veil never fit me well and I would always get a bee up in my face and get stung. Now that I'm older and not skinny they don't make it in anymore.
Never got it in the lip , but inside the nose and the eyelids a couple times turned me into a sissy.

#13 ·
My first 3 stings this year were all kamakazi hits. Out of nowhere one nailed me in the crown as I was loading my van at least 25 ft. from the hives. Threw on my veil and went back out and within seconds 2 more zapped me on the side of the neck through my veil. It was a nice day and they were feeding on an open feeder about 15 ft. from where I was. One of 2 things--my shirt smelled like my new dog, or more likely, the new conditioner I used that day (Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine) has banana oil in it. There are some fruit and flower extracts listed, but not banana (apple, camelia, citrus, etc.) Won't use that conditioner again, and have rehomed the dog for his own safety--caught him poking his nose in a hive, thankfully it was a cold day and no guard bees. He looked just like a skunk--a Japanese chin. Too small a space for both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.