Angry First Sting of the Year

Sure. Just toss a pattie on. Had my jacket on but my veil not up.

Right in my bottom lip. That's a new one.

Ouch.
    I love the smell of nectar in the morning.

Default Re: First Sting of the Year

I hear ya. I went to add a little sugar just for good measure and BAM! Right on the finger. Try to do a favor for a bunch of women and see what happens?! lol
    They obviously never heard of "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

I actually got my first for the year yesterday, right through my goatskin glove, thats a first for me.

I was trying to help a girl back in the hive other day, knocked her off the blade of grass into my hand, immediately stung me at the base of my middle finger.... gratitude for ya.

Three so far, two where random accidents not near the hive just walked into the path of returning foragers and got hit for my troubles: one right between the eyes, and the other mid cheek, I think my bead freaked her out ;-)
    The third was my fault, I was cutting a zip tie during an inspection and they took offence to the "snip" as the side cutters did their job. That one hit a vein on my wrist, felt the venom hit my shoulder in no time!

I got my first six out of the way all in one day. I was doing a cut out.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Twice so far. Both times got me on the hand when I was adding sugar. I refer to it as building my immunity for the year...

I notice your thread title, and the responses thereto, seem to assume there is a time of year without stings. Not around here. I work bees almost every day of the year (and enjoy every moment of it). Even with rain being a rare event, I sometimes find I must work them even then, that's when I find myself occasionally draping the veil over my head, though I still get stung regularly on the fingers and hands.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Yeah, Like Mr. Beeman. I was adding some Sugar last Fri. and one got me on the middle finger on my right hand. O Well, it goes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I notice your thread title, and the responses thereto, seem to assume there is a time of year without stings. .
    I don't know that there is a time without. Just happened to be my first one for this year - and on my lip. The swelling is astounding.
    I love the smell of nectar in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ByGonzah View Post
    I don't know that there is a time without. Just happened to be my first one for this year - and on my lip. The swelling is astounding.

I may not always tie it but my veil is always over my head. When I was younger and skinnier my veil never fit me well and I would always get a bee up in my face and get stung. Now that I'm older and not skinny they don't make it in anymore.
    Never got it in the lip , but inside the nose and the eyelids a couple times turned me into a sissy.

I was putting a pollen patty on and apparently one crawled up the inside of my jeans, got me just below the knee. It swelled up down to the shin and then that evening swelled my ankle and itched like crazy! First one for this year but I am sure not the last!

My first 3 stings this year were all kamakazi hits. Out of nowhere one nailed me in the crown as I was loading my van at least 25 ft. from the hives. Threw on my veil and went back out and within seconds 2 more zapped me on the side of the neck through my veil. It was a nice day and they were feeding on an open feeder about 15 ft. from where I was. One of 2 things--my shirt smelled like my new dog, or more likely, the new conditioner I used that day (Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine) has banana oil in it. There are some fruit and flower extracts listed, but not banana (apple, camelia, citrus, etc.) Won't use that conditioner again, and have rehomed the dog for his own safety--caught him poking his nose in a hive, thankfully it was a cold day and no guard bees. He looked just like a skunk--a Japanese chin. Too small a space for both.

Sounds like those Africa-
    nized bees I hear they have in the south. Hope they don't come up here !

about ten stings yesterday looking at brood most from one hive.

Hit the 50s here in southern Michigan past Saturday opened up inner cover to lay strips of fondant on top of frames, bees were very gentle I did not pull any frames no stings I am happy to say I have 8 hives and they all seem to be surviving
    and doing well. (so far)