Thread: Golden bees!

Default Golden bees!

Somebody ask about the yellow golden color bees. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00gdhHIUgM
    I'm not sure if these are the type they are looking for. But seems to me it is what I have now.
    What about the other yellow color type. Are they the same color too or more yellowish?
    Can someone post some pics to compare them here?

Default Re: Golden bees!

Last spring our bee club ordered some queens from California--Wooten's Golden Queens. I ordered 2. One is still alive. Talk about brood! Now we have some nice golden bees in West Virginia!

So are they Italian?
    Quote Originally Posted by a+blessed+life View Post
    Last spring our bee club ordered some queens from California--Wooten's Golden Queens. I ordered 2. One is still alive. Talk about brood! Now we have some nice golden bees in West Virginia!

I'm not sure what they are--I believe they might be an Italian strain. They are gentle. I made 2 splits last spring from two of my hives of Buckfast Queen/Italian bees. I put the Wooten Golden Queens in the splits. One seemed to struggle all summer and it died out last fall. The other was totally different, brood all the way up into the 4th super and enough honey to last the winter. I saw them flying on a warm day in January. The bees are a beautiful medium to light gold color. Very nice!

I think they are the Italians yellow/golden bees. I already emailed them to see what is the latest date to get
    some queens. Hopefully I will get a response to see some pictures of the bees too. What is your bee look like? Can you put some pics of the worker bees here for us to see? I wonder if they are like the ones I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    I think they are the Italians yellow/golden bees. I already emailed them to see what is the latest date to get
    some queens. Hopefully I will get a response to see some pictures of the bees too. What is your bee look like? Can you put some pics of the worker bees here for us to see? I wonder if they are like the ones I have now.
    Sounds like you have some of Russell's out of ms SKC golden yellow and gental as can be queen is a laying fool go on his web site and check it out Russell's Apirary and read up on the SKC

I have the skc from Russell, they are on more yellow-golden color than Italians. Tremendous brood producers. Need to give them plenty of room. I got ten of them before everything went crazy at Russell

I don't have any pics, but plan on opening the hive Sunday as it is supposed to be in the 60's. If I remember to take my camera!

Those are Coidovan bees, and the yellow color is caused by a recessive trait. In theory, you could have a yellow colored bee of any type. In practice, Cordovans are lines that are maintained by breeders and are nearly always Italians. They are very Italian in behavior, usually, meaning they are not thrifty but do have large brood areas. They are usually very gentle. They are more suited to warmer areas than colder areas, as a general proposition.

I have bought Cordovan queens from Pendell Apiaries that were excellent. Their queens do not alway lay eggs that grow purely Cordovan workers, which can happen because the drones might not always be pure Cordavans. However, that really makes no difference to the hive.

I have been really happy with the Cordovans I've had and think they work well for where I live. They are very good if you have an early Spring nectar flow, which I do, because they will already have a lot of brood rearing done by early spring.

The skc have wintered well for me here in Ohio. The over abundance of brood is ideal for making splits.

Quote Originally Posted by ken rice View Post
    The skc have wintered well for me here in Ohio. The over abundance of brood is ideal for making splits.
    yes Ken i got 4 of his queens last year but was late and bad weather was here at that time so they were late getting put in only 2 took and didnt do to well all year, as of now still holding on hope to get them cranked up shortly Yea hated to see Russell's get like they that some happened he franchise out with other beek in other states . i orded some nuc from one in al. got email last week something went wrong between them so they split got my refund ,dont know what happen.

If you have the golden color bees do put some pics here for us to see. Looks like the color variation with each individual operation. I really like to know the difference in color. Russell still open in Arizona it seems. But not sure if they still take any order. My last contact with them said there was a cold-spell so they stop selling queens. But not sure right now after the situation. I followed the fraud post on the consumer aspect of it. Seems like each independent owner do their own queen selling now. So it is up to the individual who has the bees that you have to deal with. But the Italian yellow color is pretty to look at for sure.

beepro later on will try to post some pic i have a beek here clost by and he wants some of them so he going to raise some queens , get back to the what i ordered. i told him would give him a frame of eggs if he would rase me some queens, he agread to

I will post some pics in April weather permitting

believe I pulled these out of a lady's family room ceiling last year, called them pretty b's small and literally golden, might have pic buried in this thing somewhere
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

orchard and bees 3-13 232.JPG

Hopefully this pic will show! Am having a terrible time with it! This is a bee from my Wooten Golden hive. They were lighter last fall, but I expect the new brood will be lighter. As far as having a whole lot of bees over winter, this hive put my others to shame! All 9 of my hives survived, so far--looked at all of them today. I'm getting so excited to see my girls of spring!
    Last edited by a+blessed+life; 03-10-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Yep, those are the standard Italian type bees. My queen bee looks like that too. Going to get another one tomorrow. Are they gentle bees too?

Very gentle and prolific! I'm hoping to see good production from them this year.