Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Making a wax melter: : is 16NC thread tap equivalent to NPT?

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  RonnieS 
#1 ·
I'm making a wax melter a-la http://www.candletech.com/general-information/do-it-yourself-wax-melter/ presto pot. I went to get a thread tap and all Home Despot had is a "16NC" tap set in 3/8". Will this tap threads for regular NPT fittings like a regular brass plumbing fitting?

Do the compressed-air fittings (there's a nice 3/8" full-port valve with male threads, where most fo the other ball valves have female on both ends) have the same thread count as NPT or this die, or do I need to use plumbing fittings only?

#3 ·
I just reread your post...I think I did exactly that a few years ago for a presto pot. My recollection is that it worked, but the fitting didn't thread all the way through...a bit fragile, but workable.

deknow

#4 ·
Dangit, I figured. Can it be that HD doesn't carry threading taps? I guess I can look around for plumbing supply places, but sheesh this should be easier :pinch:.

Wait, I wonder if the bind (we're talking super-thin aluminum wall here) would be OK to seal anyways?

#7 ·
I see some on EBAy that are JB Welded in. I have the tap I used, I could look tomorrow what it is.

#11 ·
I made one a few years back. The aluminum Is thin and hard to tap so I packed it with JB Weld and has held up good. When using the wax melter the wax at the end of the ball valve cools and will not flow . I use a propane torch to melt the wax in the fitting, works great ,good luck.

#13 · (Edited)
When using the wax melter the wax at the end of the ball valve cools and will not flow . I use a propane torch to melt the wax in the fitting, works great ,good luck.
I've seen that others have experienced this also which is why I was hoping to be able to use the compressed-air fittings; they are male-threaded and eliminate the need for the nipple (keeping the whole fitting warmer).

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.