Hybrid View

Default Making Splits and looking for the Queen; Is there a better way?

The way that I've made splits for years has been the traditional way, I guess, of first looking for the queen then making up the nuc splits. I'm trying to make up about 80 queenless nukes for queen cell introduction. With me and my helper we made up 37 queenless nucs just by opening a colony and looking for the queen first. This takes alot of time, and some times the queen is not easy to find, especially if the colony is getting ready to swarm. Does anybody have a good methode of making up splits on a large scale, and finding the queen? Anything to cut down the time. Thanks.
    JG

Default Re: Making Splits and looking for the Queen; Is there a better way?

JG, pull nuc above an excluder
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Locate the frames you want to use in the nucs. Shake all bees off and place frames with foundation in place of those frames. Place the frames you want to use in the nucs in another box. Place an excluder between the bottom brood box and the new box with the frames you are going to use for the nucs.

In 2-3 hours the nurse bees will move up through the excluder to frames with the brood while the queen is forced to stay below.

The come through and remove frames with bees and make up the nucs.

Remove the excluder.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Hey thank you very much for sharring this,this will save me alot of time. I have over 100 colonies to go through, so I will try this method. Thanks again Jrbbess.

And remember...you don't have to take everything for each nuc from only one hive. You can take brood from one or two hives, shake the bees off, and locate nuc on an excluder on another hive, taking only bees from that hive.

I use the same method as described above

When I get behind or I am dealing with alot of bees I use a different method when making up splits ,
    We will arrange the brood accordingly between the two boxes, and remove all the top boxes of the doubles to another yard
    wait a few days, and queen anything that has emergency cells
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com