Default Need advice on Hogan style trap out

I've got a trapout setup on a tree with entrances on opposite sides of the tree. Before I set the trap up the bees came and went out of both sides of the tree. I completely closed off one side with screen (window screen) and surrounded the other entrance with screen to close off everything but the entrance into the hive box. I notice that a lot of the bees are still trying to exit and enter the completed sealed off side and around the screen on the trapout side.

Should I seal the opening of the tree with something where they cannot smell/see the completely closed off entrance?

Thanks,

Dave

Default Re: Need advice on Hogan style trap out

If need be, get some roofing paper and cover up the opposite side of the tree from the trap out. I would do this late in the evening or at night so that the next morning bees will have to orientate to the trap out side. I would cover up a large area of the "other" entrance to minimize bee activity on that side. Wont be long and they will all be using the "main entrance" that you are providing them! Good luck with the trap out!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

BeeGhost is right. If the bees see light they will continue to orient on the entrances with light.

Blacken out all entrances except the one where they come and go through the trap.

Can you post a photo. If you need additional info, contact me at cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will try to help you.

cchoganjr

I tell you what, that Cleo Hogan has got to be one of the nicest beeks I have ever seen. I've never met the man but his post on here tell what kind of man he is. He is a true asset to beekeeping, always willing to help anyone who wants to learn w/o worring if you might become their competition. Guys like him & Don, FatBeeMan are irreplacable. I hope that some day I get the privilege of meeting them in person.

Thanks.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by beeman2009 View Post
    I've never met the man
    beeman2009 Others... Portland Tn is not very far from me, Maybe 50 miles?? My facilities are located at Exit 48, Kentucky Interstate I-65, Park City Exit, near Mammoth Cave National Park. Exit 48 is 75 miles North of Nashville Tn, and 95 miles South of Louisville Ky.

Everyone is welcome to stop by any time.

I have no secrets. I am happy to share any knowledge of beekeeping or woodworking that I have acquired over the years, because, others have shared with me.

cchoganjr