Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New Forum Idea: Sideliners

"The Business Side of Beekeeping" has the Commercial beekeeping and pollination forum, but no option for sideliners and people who keep bees for money but also have another job which provides most of their income.

I know there is a decent proportion of users of this site who do just that. Things that differentiate them from "commercial" beekeeper include the following: They do not make all their income from bees. They typically sell direct to consumers rather than in bulk or wholesale. Some of them do travel for pollination, but many of them don't. They often spend major portions of time at events like Farmer's Markets. Their equipment like extractors and trucks are smaller in scale.

I was wondering if I could get some sort of consensus on whether a new forum geared toward discussion of information and methods of these people would be a good idea. I don't want to criticize the commercial forum, but rather offer another similar forum for people who do business but don't fit in with the commercial crowd.
    Last edited by Solomon Parker; 03-08-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Sp.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Default Re: New Forum Idea: Sideliners

I think that's a very good idea Mr. Parker. I'm a very small scale keeper who is looking to move into being a sideliner. I have great respect for the large scale commercial keepers, but I have no intentions of hauling bees around the country, or to sell honey by the barrel. I would love to learn from those who make enough from their bees to make their operation at least self sustaining while maintaining a full time non-bee related job. I'll still spy on the big guys, to make sure I don't miss out on what's heading our way.

Dan

I like it.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

i also fall into that category, and i can see the merit in providing a forum in which the unique considerations of the sideliner could be discussed. good idea sol.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

From Wikipedia (truncated)

Most beekeepers are hobby beekeepers. These people typically work or own only a few hives. Their main attraction is an interest in ecology and natural science. Honey is a by-product of this hobby. As it typically costs several hundred American dollars to establish a small apiary and dozens of hours of manipulation and work with hives and honey equipment, hobby beekeeping is seldom profitable outside of Europe, where the lack of organic bee products sometimes causes buoyant demand for privately produced honey.

A sideline beekeeper attempts to make a profit keeping bees, but relies on another source of income.

Commercial beekeepers control hundreds or thousands of colonies of bees.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

+1

Im with ya on this idea Solomon, I am also going sideliner status this year, but like a "sideliner" my main income comes from my regular job. I would like to swap ideas with those that are current sideliners and have the same mentality. I do get a lot of help and ideas from commercial guys, and I am very thankful for that, but some of the stuff is not obtainable to me at this time.

I am hopeful of a new forum designed for sideliners and hopeful sideliners!! If need be, I can help moderate it as well.
    Coyote Creek Bees

+1

Sure, why not? People won't stick to their own Forums an yway. But it might be good.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Ok Barry what do you think?

just one more header.
    +1 I like the idea.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Seems like a good forum idea to me. I would bet more people are sideliners or aspire to be than are large scale or aspire to be.

It might be a good idea to try.
    Can we keep it free from rules restricting who can post.
    I post sometimes in commercial to ask question and like that different forums aren't restricted.
    I'd hate to see this addition of a forum create a senerio where I couldn't ask questions where ever I want depending on what perspective I wanted.

I'm in

In some ways I am in. But seeing I use my phone for most of my reading. I ask how many forms do we really need? There are some I would like to go away.
    David

I agree with smokepole. Consolidate some of the unpopular or infrequently visited forum's and add the Sideliners.
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

i always use the 'what's new' button at the top, rather than look at each forum individually.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    i always use the 'what's new' button at the top, rather than look at each forum individually.
    So do I. I think the concept is good but I would be concerned it will open up a whole new argument about who meets the definition and who dosent. I am not sure what would be posted there that isn't already posted in the regular forum.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I can see the value in it. I am cautious about posting questions on the big boy's commercial forum, last year I ran 18 colonies for production, yet there are questions I have about efficiencies that don't seem that appropriate anywhere else. I also notice that the section "Bee Forum" gets so much traffic that questions don't stay on page one very long; Once you fall off page one you are doomed...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast