Default Uh..., what's the sponsor advertising?

I look to the right and a computer animated young woman who is relatively clothed and in a position on a young man that's better left to the imagination. All it says on the link is "I M V U" and "get started." Needless to say, I did not but I'm surprised to see that advertised on here.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Default Re: Uh..., what's the sponsor advertising?

Saw it too; I'm guessing it's an ad for another one of many free browser-based online adventure games (read: money traps) that are available these days.

The ad content isn't controlled by the board, but by the ad company. It's only marginally based on content; for example, if "Sue Bee" is mentioned occasionally in the forum and the ad server reads it, ads that are in some way, some how, related to "Sue" will occasionally be posted that may have nothing necessarily to do with bees.

I do think though that the board management might be able complain about certain ads or kinds of ads and keep them from being shown again, so definitely contact an admin about it if you're concerned.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

The ad you describe hasn't shown up on my browser, but from Wikipedia:

IMVU, Inc. (which "doesn't stand for anything") is an online social entertainment website founded in 2004,in which members use 3D avatars to meet new people, chat, create, and play games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMVU
    They are probably advertising to the wrong market. Beekeepers don't need virtual friends, we have tens of thousands, perhaps millions, of live "playmates".

Even though the corporate name allegedly "doesn't stand for anything", some might interpret it as shorthand for "I Move You".
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I run ad blocking software on Chrome for all sites, so I don't see anything at all.

IMVU is one of those crappy virtual world type chat applications where tweens can slut themselves up a whole lot. Was on the block list in my router for some time when my daughter was younger. Idiotic virtual world/dating garbage.

Chances are it's served by Google. Which, Google takes into account your internet activity and search history while serving ads. Search history is an overriding factor for their ad services and outranks page content. Food for thought on what your browser has been used for.

Ha Ha what have you ( or one of your kids) been searching for, Add content is customized based on cookies on your computer, Mine is showing up fleetmatics, which is a program we use to track our employees.

Ads are based on "cookies" gathered from your computer based on your search habits.. For me, the ad on the right shows high performance diesel truck products.

I think it's time someone spent less time in the bee yard and had a talk with the Mrs. LOL

Bwahahaha

Though to be fair, a game is a game. I bet people with cookies from sites about...relatively family-friendly games, might still get such an ad if it's on Google's general "games ad server".

this is true, just doing some ribbing, that is why I said ( or kids) in my first response

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    Ads are based on "cookies" gathered from your computer based on your search habits.. For me, the ad on the right shows high performance diesel truck products.
    I get adverts for 250 free business cards and Cedar Beehives...top bar hives and Bens bees

Yea, I'm no prude but I don't head to anything like that. I was laughing at myself wondering what cookies flagged me for that. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this advertising too.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Go to Google and do a search for anything, hotel rooms, flights, lawn tractors and see how the ads change. Whenever my wife looks over my shoulder I jump out of Internet Explorer. I had a dating site pop up one time and never heard the end of it.

Some friendly suggestions on the topic: never use Google to search for "group homes", the word "legal", or anything Japanese. You're welcome.

A while back I was looking to buy a car trailer and searched on Google. I was amazed, after that I was constantly getting ads for trailers nearly every time I went on the net, and it kept going for months. Scary!

I guess Google get paid by the advertiser for clicks. So they try to figure out your interests, so they can serve you something you are more likely to click on. Money for them.

The other thing I have been getting lately is ads featuring a young lady promoting a particular brand of tee shirts. No idea what I can have been doing that's made them think I'm interested in this.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

A year or so ago I was seeing ads with hot babes promoting testosterone supplements on Beesource. Not something I'd done any searches for...but somehow I'd been targeted. I posted a thread...a bit like this one and Barry picked up on it. He, evidently has some control over the ads....and said that it was supposed to be 'family friendly'. The ads with hot babes disappeared......I'm sad to say.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I buy many things (cheaper) off the net so my ads track what I have been looking at. I have ignored the ads so long they have pretty much disappeared for me. I just stopped and read the ones up now, not bad M Bush, hives, bee stuff. RID-X the only outlier.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I get BuildDirect laminate flooring and Barker Door selling hardwoods. Sorry Dan, I could search through the blocked ads and see if I can find the URL to the hot babe testosterone. Emails ads work the same. I recently purchased/reserved a room at a hotel through Bookit.com. I started getting email ads from them every couple days. Finally had to create a filter for them so they go right to the trash bin.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sorry Dan, I could search through the blocked ads and see if I can find the URL to the hot babe testosterone.
    Not to worry....they continue to pop up on a number of other sites.
    Now...can anybody tell me what hot babes with monstrously oversized.....uh....mammaries....have to do with men over fifty learning a new language? Those seem to be the current rage.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards