Hybrid View

Default Stolen bees continue!

It's just a sad state of affairs for these beekeepers. I thought at one time I might be a commercial beekeeper traveling the country with my bees. Seems like a hazardous profession nowadays. :-(

CATCH THE BUZZ

AND THE THIEF…WATCH FOR STOLEN BEES
    From the Modesto Bee
    A $10,000 reward has been offered in the theft of about 80 bee colonies from an almond farm northeast of Waterford, CA, with a value of about $16,000. Grower Gil Silbernagel said entire pallets of bee boxes were taken in mid-February after having been delivered by Utah-based beekeeper Darren Cox. Other growers and beekeepers have been asked to be on the lookout for people trying to sell the stolen hives, all of which are branded on boxes, lids and pallets, and at least 80% of the frames with COX or CVH or D COX. People with information that could lead to an arrest can call (209) 552-2468 or (435) 232-9429.
    An interesting twist to this is that although the responsibility and liability for the colonies was accepted by the grower in the pollination contract, the insurance company is refusing to pay the beekeeper for the loss, and, in fact, will defend the grower in court if the beekeeper chooses to pursue the case.

Default Re: Stolen bees continue!

Hmmm, by Waterford you say, there's been an Add on CL, some guy in Waterford been looking for about that many colonies for a few weeks...... I can see why the insurance company would fight it as it's not really their customers property and ultimately they have final say in paying out a loss like that unless the Farmer is covering it out of pocket which wouldn't be smart.

THe farmer still had posession of the hives. He should be liable for them. After all, if I rent you a car, and it gets stolen when you have it, you are still liable for the loss. Now the farmer probably never expected such a thing to happen, and might not be insured for that kinda thing, wich can be quite hard on him, but still, hes the one that lost it, he should be liable for the replacement.

insurance companies and politicians are a lot alike.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    insurance companies and politicians are a lot alike.

Amen to that ....... I would bet if we went back to when people were really punished for crimes, like horse thieving and Robbing we would see a lot less of it going on today.

DC

The precedent this carries ...the owner and the grower had a contract that the grower was liable for the bees. The grower's insurance won't cover the loss (acceptable if the insurance didn't cover that) ...but then the insurance company said that they would defend the grower if the owner of the bees decided to go to court ...that last bit disturbs me. Is this supposed to mean that contracts are just to be ignored.

I don't know the exact wording of the contract ..maybe there was some loop-hole. This does mean that beekeepers have to have good contracts and apparently they will need to see some sort of insurance coverage that will cover the loss of bees if stolen (or other circumstances). If the grower doesn't cover the loss then I can image there be changes coming within the industry.

I feel sorry for the beekeeper ..and I do hope that they catch the person(s) that stole them. Jeez ..stealing bees. What a low-life.