Default today on our wedding anniversary...we did a cutout :) pictures

just as the titale says. we had some plans to go up to wichita and spend the day. see a movie,nice dinner. then we decided nah dont really have the money soo we'll just stay close to home and enjoy the days off and relax. i guess its a sign we are getting old (ill deny it til i drop dead hahaha) but around 10 a.m. i got a call from someone who had a 2 year old hive in a burned out old house on his property and wanted it cutout. my wife and i got excited because it would be our first cutout. god is good and we had a lovely day together spending it with what we are finding to be the loves of our lives...together

enjoy the pictures and cherish every moment together. even what may seem small or weird to others could turn out to be some of the best days of your lives.
    DSCF0699.JPG
    DSCF0700.JPGDSCF0701.JPGDSCF0705.JPGDSCF0706.JPGDSCF0708.jpgDSCF0713.JPGDSCF0714.JPGDSCF0715.JPG

Default Re: today on our wedding anniversary...we did a cutout :) pictures

awesome! those are the best cutouts where you dont have to worry much about tearing up the walls

aint that the truth. and it was our first one and a simple job. perfect amount of bees for a 5 nuc. easy to cut out,queen went in the nuc with one of the scoops of bees and just waited for the rest to go meet her in the nuc. blessed the entire day through. nothing like a nuc full of feral bees in the beeyard waiting to get the entrance opened in the morning

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Did you manage to get the queen along with all her entourage?

[QUOTE=Bubbles;905768]What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

thank you .. my wife and i just had great day. we're a cheap date hahaha. we did actually get the queen with one of the scoops of bees . one of the pics shows the nuc with the bees in it. its when we knew we had her because all the bees at the hive in the wall started buzzing really high pitched (one signal u moved her) and when you look at the scoops you put into the nuc...take your time and see what the ones you moved into the nuc box are doing. if they are moving around fanning or at the top of the box fanning like crazy,its another signal that you moved her into the nuc box. what they are doing is fanning her scent and pheromone all over the place letting all the other bees know she is in the nuc box. if thats happening or you think shes in the nuc box/new location...put the nuc box under or by the old hive location and just take a break for a few minutes. if you notice the amount of bees building up in ur nuc box...just wait it out. you got her and the rest of the colony will go their. you dont really need to SEE her to know where she is. its better to pay attention,listen and be aware of how they communicate. and if shes in the nuc box, move ur smoker out of range. remember smokers work by masking their communication signals soo they cant yell at eachother to tell them "COME OVER HERE....SHES IN THIS WHITE BOX" hahaha.

also remember in 50 degree plus weather...most of the colony is in and out foraging. when you have her in the nuc box you have to let it rest for a bit soo that the bees that were out working can come back and find out twhere she is. you'll have a better chance of getting most of the colony of bees in ur nuc as well.

these people were cool to hang out with soo we waited until rt after sundown to pack it up and leave. there was probably no more than 10 bees in that house when we left....but that nuc was full

Have fun with it. being a beekeeper is the most amazing thing on this earth. being a steward to them is important and fun. and like we tell the cattle ranchers in our area . "our livestock will grow to over 250 thousand by the end of the season.... how about urs ?" hahahaha

Blessings folks.

the more you do the more confident you'll get. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you watch all of the videos by jpthebeeman. Removals can turn into a nice little side business to your beekeeping side business. (you DID charge for the cutout job, right?) -js

You checked a bunch of boxes with this thread, nice job ! thankx 4 sharing
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

That was just entirely too easy. There ought to be a law agin it! LOL

hahaha yeah i know.

u got it.

!!!! JUST GOT A CALL FOR ANOTHER CUTOUT NEEDED !!!!!!! and yes it is a payed removal this time is $100 too cheap for a cutout when the gas will cost about $40 round trip ? we figured it would cover our trip some food if its a long job and free bees. let me know what everyone generally charges for a cutout because we may actually have a busy season doing these hahaha. atleast we hope soo.

we decided is we get another call this month we're gonna invest in a bee vac.

I've read somewhere of a beek's report of usually not getting the queen when he uses a bee vac.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    I've read somewhere of a beek's report of usually not getting the queen when he uses a bee vac.

uh oh really ?

I did my first one for $100 but it was about 5 minutes away and an easy cutout from under an office trailer. Even then, I knew I undercharged. -js

we do alot of cutouts and nearly always use a beevac. as of now , we r probably at least 85% in getting the queen. we started out not charging but we r way too busy now. we charge 100.00 per cutout which is not enough but still have people tell us it is too much. put a pencil to it and its les than minimum wage just wa more fun

I charge a minimum of $250 for a cut out unless it is a senior on a limited income or something like that. At the very least charge enough to cover your gas and time. If I figure it by the hour then I charge to make at least 25/hr.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

i totally agree with you, sharpbees, on charging what it is worth but we are after the ferals. we have got some excellent bees and some junk this way. now we are very choosy on the jobs we do or who we do them for. we did two for senior citizens this past summer for free . not a profitable thing but good pr. no we dont do many like this . my wife and daughters protest but they enjoy it also. i know our local exterminator starts out at 150 just to show up. so yes 100. is too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by trainwrecker View Post
    i totally agree with you, sharpbees, on charging what it is worth but we are after the ferals. we have got some excellent bees and some junk this way. now we are very choosy on the jobs we do or who we do them for. we did two for senior citizens this past summer for free . not a profitable thing but good pr. no we dont do many like this . my wife and daughters protest but they enjoy it also. i know our local exterminator starts out at 150 just to show up. so yes 100. is too cheap.

gotcha

Trainwrecker, I do cutouts basically for the same reasons, but after doing cutouts for the first year back in 07 for free or cheap. Back then I would figure the job the same way I would any carpentry job then subtract the cost of a package. I found that on top of the work involved you have to add the cost of the equipment for the bees, treatment if any, feeding, possible queenlessness, ect. I enjoy doing them but if I'm going to do the work, most of the time in a bee suit at 80 degree temps, I'm definitely going to charge a premium. It just depends on the situation and what's involved. These days, if I need bees I can split to increase and after 6 years of ferals and raising queens from them, I have a pretty good diversity. Now I just do cutouts as part of my carpentry business.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown