Default Hiving packages questions?

I am planning on adding to the backyard apiary this year and have 3 new hives to fill. Have packages coming next weekend.

With limited space in the beeyard, I plan to have all my hives side-by-side. Is it OK to install packages like this and so close to existing hives? Any worries about drift/fighting?

Default Re: Hiving packages questions?

Drifting will more than likely happen. A few years ago I installed 4 packages at once-went to check on the queen release a week later and had one booming super hive and three other nearly empties. In your case, all you would have to do is equalize the 3 by either switching hive places or switching just frames to give all three an equal population.

If the packages have been setting for a cpl days you will be fine. That swarm is imprinting on the queen thats in the cage, and if shes got decent phermones they will pretty much stick with her. the older the package the more thats true. some drifting will always occur, but you will be fine. Tha majority of packages go to large yard, many times with 30-100 hives in them. all shaken at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama B-man View Post

With limited space in the beeyard, I plan to have all my hives side-by-side. Is it OK to install packages like this and so close to existing hives?
    Any worries about drift/fighting?
    Install them ten minutes or so apart, this will help with the initial drifting, confusion, and fighting.
    Different colors for each hive would help, but so would switching as mentioned.

Drifting can vary from almost none to all of them, depending on the quality of the queen that came with the package... but I doubt distance will help any.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF